PDA

View Full Version : Rain Soft Reverse Osmosis System Headaches

BOB OLINGER
08-20-2012, 8:38 AM
I know I've posted previously on this, but do any of you have Rain Soft Drinking Water Reverse Osmosis systems? This was quite an expensive system (about 3 yrs ago - my second Rain Soft system) compared to what I understand is available from the big box stores. It worked pretty good to start with, now the water output is very low. So, I purchase and change the 3 filters and it goes better for a couple months. I purchase the filters online as they are about 1/3 the cost compared to buying from Rain Soft. I've checked and rechecked the pressure in the tank (always OK). I'm hesitant to call Rain Soft for a service call as it's likely $75 - not so bad, but over the years, I get the feeling they are over priced, will likely tell me to buy their filters, get no resolve? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Matt Meiser
08-20-2012, 8:50 AM
What's your incoming water like? It sounds like they are plugging up quick which wouldn't be a service issue. Do you have issues with the aerator screens in your faucets getting fouled?

BOB OLINGER
08-20-2012, 11:16 AM
Matt,

Thanks. Our water is very hard or at least has a lot of lime in it - if we don't use the RO water in our Bunn coffee pot, the water tubes get plugged in a few months and have to buy a new pot (I've not had much luck in cleaning the tubing in the pot). Same thing happens in my wife's outside water fountain - the interior water line gets plugged with lime build up each year and I have to drill it out - even after continuous running 24/7 - I was amazed that would happen.

David Lawhorn
08-20-2012, 11:17 AM
Well, I am not at all familiar with Rain Soft, I have used RO water systems for quite a few years.
Can you explain a little more about your unit? How many gallons per day does it produce? How large is the holding tank for the RO water after it is made? How much RO water do you use each day?
From what I understand, there is really very little difference in the actual parts that make up the systems, there are indeed differences in the RO membrane and the filters.
When I really was interested in the differences between the various units, membrane volumes, etc. I was keeping salt water fish and corals where the RO unit was actually the pre-filter to the deionization filters which removed all of the TDS and basically produced pure water.

If you want to find out way more than you ever wanted to know about RO units, check into some of the reef keeping forums and ask around.

I know that in that world, Spectrapure is very well regarded, but not inexpensive.

Good luck to you.

Matt Meiser
08-20-2012, 11:32 AM
I don't think you have an RO unit problem, I think you have a water problem. The RO unit is doing its job by cleaning out the lime, but that lime is clogging your filters because it doesn't just magically disappear.

Your water sounds like my mom and dad's water. My parents have pretty much trashed a Bosch dishwasher in 3 years and and even their kitchen faucet has been problematic as the lime builds up on an internal filter screen. I'll give you the same advise I gave them (because its worked for us)--get a good softener company in to analyze your water and recommend treatment. We've got a local company that supplied our softener. IIRC, cost wasn't too much different than buying a replacement Bosch dishwasher :rolleyes: but we've had ours closing in on 9 years so I don't know what current prices are. Our company did same as cash financing, rentals, and rent-to-own at pretty good pricing as well.

BOB OLINGER
08-21-2012, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the replies. In checking my file, the daily output is rated at 15.35 gpd. I'm lucky to get a gallon per day. We'd be happy to get a couple gallons per day to supply the coffee pot and a little for drinking. Rain Soft recommended this unit, so that's why i considered a service call so I could confront them. My notes showed the 3 filters required from them cost about $170 compared to about $100 online. I'd like to challenge Rain Soft so that is the main reason to have them do a service call.

Larry Frank
08-21-2012, 7:50 PM
I think that the comment about checking water quality it right on. I have bad water with high hardness, sulfur and iron. I have a unit to take out the sulfur and iron and then a water softener. The RO unit uses the soft water.

Doing periodic checks on your water is a great idea. I have the well water checked, the water after the iron/sulfur unit checked and the water after the water softener. All of the units need to be working properly to have the RO unit put work properly. I think that just using it straight on the well water would not be the best thing.

Dick Strauss
08-22-2012, 9:14 AM
I helped a friend install an RO unit and new water softener (to replace an existing unit). I think he paid $800 for the complete package including all of the plumbing valves, two pressure tanks, etc. The softener came pre-programmed based on his water analysis. IIRC, the RO installation directions specified using softened water.

It sounds like you have an isuue with the water feeding the RO, not the RO itself IMHO. I'm not an expert on the subject by any means so I would consult one to verify your issue.

Ed Aumiller
08-22-2012, 10:58 AM
You have a problem with the incoming water is what it sounds like...

Would install water filter coming from pump with 1 micron filters and you will probably need to replace filter about once a month... filter unit costs about $30-40 at Lowes or Home Depot and you can buy the filters from eBay at about 1-2 dollars each depending on quantity..

Then run it thru a reverse flushing water softener which you can buy at Lowes for $500-700...

The RO unit needs relatively clean water to begin with...
If you install the units above it will help all plumbing by removing most of lime before hand...

In my opinion, most big companies will sell you things you do not need at vastly increased prices... try to find a local well drilling company and ask them for the name of a local small company to fix your problem...

I had a problem with suspended clay in my water, I knew what it was (from a health dept test) but could not get it all out... went to 3 of the major companies and they all said I had iron in the water.. finally checked with a small local firm and they knew what it was and how best to tackle it...

Good luck...

BOB OLINGER
08-22-2012, 12:38 PM
Thanks for additional comments. I will check tonight when I get home, but I think the water fed to the RO is not soft water. I'll also check with Rain Soft to see if they recommend soft water to the RO. This could solve the problem.

Ed Aumiller
08-22-2012, 1:05 PM
One more quick item... had to did out some old invoices...

www.OhioPureWater.com is an internet company who has very good prices and is very knowledgeable and helpful....
no affiliation... just bought a fair amout of stuff from them...

David Lawhorn
08-22-2012, 1:28 PM
Bob,

12 to 15 gallons per day (GPD) is about right for a drinking water setup.
As others have mentioned, you may have some hardness issues with your water as do I. This is usually referred to as calcium and is not usually something that will clog (good quality) filters in a month though.
I assume this unit is one of the under-the-kitchen-sink type of units and should be a relatively standard setup with 1 or 2 sediment pre-filters then through a carbon filter then feeding through the RO membrane and into a pressure tank reservoir. Most will also have a final carbon filter for taste.
If your unit is setup this way, it is really easy to check to see if your sediment/carbon filters are clogged.
Most all of these units use John Guest fittings (push in all the way and pull back a little to seat, and puch in and hold a ring then pull to remove) and are really easy to isolate each filter to see it they are clogged. If they are clogged, they are pretty quick and inexpensive to replace.
If all of you prefilters are flowing water without any obvious restriction, you may have a water pressure issue.
These membranes work the best with at least 40psi and generally will preform very well at higher pressures.
You may benefit from a booster pump which will pressurize your incoming water to allow better RO water production.

You stated that your system is around 3 years or so old, the expected life of an RO membrane is 2 to 5 years depending on water parameters but especially depending on your pre-filter replacement regimine.
If you were to purchase a ~ $20 - $25 water TDS meter, you can check the efficiency of your RO membrane. If it is less than 85% - 90% rejection you should replace it.

There are several very good places to assist you with your issues. Again, Spectrapure in AZ is good but expensive but offer the best membranes available with guaranteed rejection rates above 97%. Watts in AZ is pretty good and have good product at a reasonable price. For replacement units and filters you can look at Buckeye Field Supply, The Filter Guys, Air Water and Ice, and Bulk Reef Supply.
All of these places can help you out if you are willing to do a little research on what you have and how it is configured.
Buckeye and The Filter Guys were very willing to assist over the phone in the past, I cannot say about their CS lately as it has been some time since I have dealt with them.

Good luck.

BOB OLINGER
08-23-2012, 9:25 AM
Thanks, for additional comments. i was a bit surprised, but my RO system is fed with soft water. So, that should eliminate some of the concerns on water input quality.

Matt Meiser
08-23-2012, 10:51 AM
I wouldn't make that assumption. If your softened water has that much lime in it (re: the comment on plugging up coffee pots in a couple months) then you are still going to plug up RO filters quick. Are you sure your softener is working? Have you had someone test the water?