PDA

View Full Version : Veneered ply 1.5 mm (1/16") UK supplier

Alick Ford
08-20-2012, 7:14 AM
Looking for a UK supplier of doubled sided oak and walnut veneered ply 1.5mm (1/16").

Tried ringing a few places, but haven't found anyone so far!

I've been working with solid walnut wood strips (1.5mm), but they tend to warp and can be easily damaged/split.

Any help much appreciated.

Alick

Peter Kelly
08-20-2012, 10:29 AM
Might be easier to make your own plywood out of three sheets of 0.6mm veneer instead. I think you're going to have a difficult time buying anything like that.

Jamie Buxton
08-20-2012, 10:48 AM
Might be easier to make your own plywood out of three sheets of 0.6mm veneer instead. I think you're going to have a difficult time buying anything like that.

Well, it is possible to get close. 2-ply veneer sheets are available (in the US). They consist of a face layer backed by a second layer, which can be wood. The sheets are 4x8 feet. I think they're mostly used for kitchen refacing. They're about 3/64" thick, or 1.2 mm, which is close to what the OP asked for. Here's one retail source with a lot of species: http://www.tapeease.com/nblwood.htm

Of course, this US supplier doesn't much help the OP. But maybe it offers encouragement that stuff like this does exist.