PDA

View Full Version : Bob Smalser's Handcut Mortises

Tom Saurer
04-11-2005, 9:54 PM
I would like to thank Bob Smalser for posting his tutorial on hand cut mortises several months ago. I saved it knowing that I was going to be needing to cut a few (104) and had never done it before. It's great advice. After cutting them by hand I don't even want to try using a machine. By the end I think I was cutting 10-12 per hour with Crown Mortise chisels and not the much larger and more massive chisels that Bob has.

Bob, I've gotten a lot out of many of your posts. I understand that you're going to be writting some professional articles, which I greatly look forward to.

Roy Wall
04-11-2005, 10:36 PM
Tom,

As one WW'er who has almost purchased a "mortiser" 2 - 3 times now,,, I'll continue to hold off. I haven't cut any by hand either - but if I can chop out 4-5 an hour...I'll take that to start as I continue my little neander projects...:)

And yes -- Mr. Smalser is quite a storehouse of knowledge, and I too feel fortunate that he shares his expertise with a padawon learner (like me) here at SMC'

THank you Bob!!

Bob Smalser
04-12-2005, 6:53 AM
My pleasure.

Sold that one, too.

Just remember there's lots of ways to skin these cats, so don't hesitate to adapt the various techniques to your tools and what works best for you.

Tom Saurer
04-12-2005, 8:32 AM
I totally agree that there are many good ways. For where I'm at right now this works for me. If something comes up that is easier, faster, more accurate, etc I'll be more then happy to take a look at.

Ed Hardin
04-12-2005, 10:39 AM
I've got to tell you that I've tried to cut mortises with routers etc. but made such a mess I was ready to quit. THEN I tried cutting them by hand. I may never go back. Thanks Bob. Now all I've got to do is get me some mortising chisels. These new Ashley Ilses eliptical handle ones look good. Any users out there.

David Fried
04-12-2005, 11:01 AM
Tom,

As one WW'er who has almost purchased a "mortiser" 2 - 3 times now,,, I'll continue to hold off. I haven't cut any by hand either - but if I can chop out 4-5 an hour...I'll take that to start as I continue my little neander projects...:)

And yes -- Mr. Smalser is quite a storehouse of knowledge, and I too feel fortunate that he shares his expertise with a padawon learner (like me) here at SMC'

THank you Bob!!

Roy,

My first project, an Oak bookcase, with mortises, I was able to get it down to 10 minutes or less each. Maybe 5 minutes to chop the mortise and 5 minutes to fine tune it. I did find it a bit wearing on my wrist and elbow!

I didn't see Bob's tutorial but I'll go back and find it now.

Give it a try.

Dave Fried

Marc Hills
04-12-2005, 11:40 AM
Tom,
I haven't cut any by hand either - but if I can chop out 4-5 an hour...I'll take that to start as I continue my little neander projects...:)

. . . .a padawon learner (like me) here at SMC'

Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.

Seriously, just bite the bullet and get a real mortise chisel. Once you start, you'll wonder why you took so long to get started.

As much fun as hand planing it almost is, hmmmm?