PDA

View Full Version : Oneway vs Robust curved interior bowl rest

Steve Harder
08-19-2012, 10:59 PM
Can anyone comment on the Oneway vs Robust curved interior bowl rest? Doing some 16" NE bowls and would like something pretty sturdy for the long reaches in.

Kathy Marshall
08-19-2012, 11:32 PM
I don't have either one so can't comment, except to say that I would guess the quality of both would be equally good.

Reed Gray
08-20-2012, 2:32 AM
I have both and have used them a lot. I prefer the shape/curve of the Oneway as it is a bit flatter than the Robust (6 inch radius I think), but when working at the very end/tip of it, it bounces a bit, especially on heavier cuts. The Robust has the drill rod, which I prefer, and it is rock solid all the way out to the tip. For over all shape, I prefer this one,

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Lathe_Accessories___Tool_Rests___S_Curve_Bowl_Rest ___s_curve_rest?Args=

It is too wide for the dropped handle kind of cuts, but you can work the rim, down the inside of the bowl, through the transition, and across the bottom of the bowl without having too much tool overhang, and not having to move it very much. After using the Robust tool rests, it feels like the gouges and scrapers are on 320 grit sand paper.

Some prefer to use the straight rests, and just extend out, which I never liked. The vertical posts on both the Oneway and Robust rests do interfere with the gouges as you get deeper into the bowl, but about the time it starts to interfere, it is time to change to a bottom feeder type gouge. If I had all the bowl rests I wanted, I would probably have almost as many rests as I do gouges.

robo hippy

Don McClure
08-20-2012, 7:53 AM
I too have both but use the Robust the most since the he radius is slightly smaller than the One-Way. I use both the curve for the exterior and the curve for the interior. They are a great assest for bowl Turning.