PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Rust in New England

Steven Green
08-19-2012, 8:57 PM
My wife and I are celebrating our 42nd Anniversary with a trip to New England. We're in Massachusetts at the moment over by Sturbridge. And ideas where a guy might find some old tools to drag home? Thanks guys

Axel de Pugey
06-18-2024, 3:46 AM
Nobody answered poor Steven Green 12 years ago...will I be luckier?

First time back on holidays across the pond since Covid, planning to check what the US look like between NYC and Bar Harbor, end of August.

So far my shortlist is:
Liberty Tools
4 stores from the "Antique Alley"
Brimfield fleamarket
(non rust) Lie Nielsen

Wife and kid have a certain level of patience with rust hunt, but it cannot be only about that, do I miss something obvious and not too far inland?

Many thanks for your help

steven c newman
06-18-2024, 8:56 AM
Vintage tool shop...nhplaneparts actual store up in New Hampshire..

Maurice Mcmurry
06-18-2024, 9:23 AM
Bonjour! My stomping ground is a bit inland, New Hampshire and Vermont. Newburyport MA has antique shops and a Country Craft Fair. Your timing may be an issue with town fairs. A Rust Gypsy had a booth at the weekly farmers market in Canaan NH last summer.
He and others like him move their booths around following fairs and markets. The hardware store in Caanan NH is decorated with a nice collection of antique tools (not for sale). If you do not get off of the beaten path you are competing with decorators. When I am on the hunt, finding old tools seems imposable. When I am going about my business thinking about other things is when I have stumbled upon nice finds. I am not a collector. I am a fan of made in the USA. Ms. and Daughter have the patience for thrift stores. I have educated them a little on chisels, hand planes, square and saws. Finds are few and far between. Attending farm auctions is a source. I do not have the patience for auctions. Rust Gypsies in the Mid West are a serious bunch. The antique booths at The Missouri River Valley Steam Engine Show cover an acer or more. When my New England Relatives want to have an old world New England experience they start at Bar Harbor and go north to P.E.I. and Nova Scotia.
-Maurice

steven c newman
06-18-2024, 1:32 PM
There is a store in the middle of Amish Country in Ohio...Millerstown I think...

Axel de Pugey
06-19-2024, 5:10 AM
Steven c newman : Many thanks, I came across the website of the Vintage Shop in the past, seems interesting although on the high side of prices. Thank you for the hint on nhplaneparts, I did not know them, and that is the kind of business that I cannot find in my country, I definately will consider it.

Maurice Mcmurry : Bonjour Bonjour Maurice! Many thanks for sharing your experience.
I did not read anything about Newburyport and as it is dead on my way up, I will definately digg in this direction, thank you!
I don't doubt Canaan is an interesting place, being out of the way from tourists like me! I am planning to come back down a bit inland, so I will see if I can place a pin on the map not too far from there.

I completely agree with your views on thrift stores. In Europe, during summer I visit 2-3 flea markets every sunday, with no specific quest in mind and unexpected purchases are the best. When on holidays in the US, I usually stop in every thrift store I come across on my road, my family enjoys it as well. I have only been through a tad less than 20 US states so far and know how different experience a rust hunt is.
I cannot hide that in the North East region, for historical reasons, I expect to see/find more numerous and better tools than say, during my Missisippi trip though ;-)

Thank you both for your kind help!

Maurice Mcmurry
06-19-2024, 6:48 AM
Happy hunting! I learned about the Sabbathday Lake Shakers in Maine from a wise contributor on this forum. It is unlikely that the last group of Shakers will part with any tools. The grounds of the Shaker Villages are fun to see, even from the car. The villages in Canterberry and Enfeild NH both have museums. Newics Lobster House in Portsmouth NH is a popular destination with the In-Laws.
-Maurice

Jim Koepke
06-19-2024, 12:48 PM
I completely agree with your views on thrift stores. In Europe, during summer I visit 2-3 flea markets every sunday, with no specific quest in mind and unexpected purchases are the best.

One thing learned from my quests of finding rust is to talk to the folks in the shops where you find yourself hunting. Some may know other dealers who tend to carry tools. Around my area there are local Antique Dealers Newspapers. Often they are given away for free. They are often laced with stories about the area's dealers, maps and advertisements from other purveyors of antiques, tools or otherwise.

Good luck and have fun on your hunt.

jtk