PDA

View Full Version : DrawPlus (from Serif)

John Noell
08-19-2012, 5:40 PM
The recent thread on Corel 6.1 TOS mentions DrawPlus as a possible alternative to CD. At least for Epilogs, there seems to be a major line width (i.e., vector versus raster) issue. (Not to mention that I see no indication that DP can open CorelDraw files directly.) Apparently a workaround (?) to both issues is to convert drawings to PDFs. Printing straight from the pdf apparently works okay. (IMO, this is a major PITA.) And if I cannot open my (many) legacy CD files I don't think I have the heart to make a switch. Has anyone had good luck with DP and an Epilog? (For a DP forum discussion on the liner width topic go to Serif forums.

John Stevenson
08-19-2012, 6:33 PM
Tried DP and it won't open native CDR files, didn't play with the line weights but it does have an export feature to CAD/CAM but the demo pack has that disabled so don't know how good this is. Tried that as Lasercut 5.3 reads DXF files with no problem.

Then tried Inkscape, reads native CDF files and exports to a readable and useable DXF.

Lee DeRaud
08-19-2012, 6:34 PM
I don't recall off the top of my head what the raster/vector line-width transition is for ULS machines, so I may or may not be in the same boat.

A more critical issue for me would be support for VBA macros (although I suspect it would not use the same object model as CD anyway) and also PhotoShop plugins. Anyone have insight into that compatibility aspect?

Kim Vellore
08-20-2012, 12:34 AM
I downloaded the DP and so far liked it. I am so used to CDReven if it works for me I will be using CDR for a while. Purchased one since so many features are disabled in the demo version. I'll know soon when I get the CD how it works with respect to line width and CDR files on a Epilog machine.

Kim

Michael Kowalczyk
08-21-2012, 2:47 PM
Hey Kim,
Look forward to hearing your comments on DP. The sales person checked with someone and they said it would open a CDR file so maybe the actual version does and the demo may not. Not sure but I will wait patiently and you know you have a 60 day MBG.