PDA

View Full Version : Punky shallow dish

Lee Alkureishi
08-19-2012, 2:11 PM
hi all,

while back, I posted a wood id thread for what I thought was a Burl.it turned out to be a "catseye burl", or a branch stump that had healed over. The advice was to turn it anyway, and see what it gives. Well, here's the first of two pieces. This was from the base of the stump, which was pretty rotten in the centre - the second piece is from the meat of the catseye piece, and is even more punky - we'll see!

I'm pretty happy with how this turned out. The missing section in the centre is what was rotten - no operator-induced missing sections this time!

A couple of mistakes in this one, as always! I somehow managed to"burn in"some Tripoli while buffing - maybe a combination of too much compound and buffing too hard on the rim... Also, the flat section of the wall (where the bark came off) is paper-thin in the centre - misjudged the hollowing a bit! But, even with those flaws, I think it's a step forward in quality for me - sanding and finishing this one with WTF was a challenge!

Thanks for looking - c&c always appreciated :)

Lee Alkureishi
08-21-2012, 1:47 PM
Nobody like this one? 175 views, no comments!

Always looking to improve :)

Prashun Patel
08-21-2012, 2:31 PM
Lee I know how you feel. I like this one. I like the finish, and I appreciate the hole in the bottom and the flat on the rim.

I think this one just slipped thru the crack. However, I will say that the quality of pictures has a lot to do with the ooh-ahh factor that inspires people to comment. I've had people gush over some mediocre work I've photagraphed well, but have had nary a comment on some of the things i'm most proud of bkz I took bad pix.

When you figure out how to photograph fast and well, please tell me. I'm still bad at it.

Jim Burr
08-21-2012, 2:55 PM
Great job with what you had to work with Lee! Hope that knot stays put...gotta give you a 0 on the M&M holding test though;):D You'll get the feel for the lack of comments after awhile. Unless you are one of "The Crowd"...you don't get much in the way of response:confused:

Allan Ferguson
08-21-2012, 3:01 PM
Pretty wood and a good job just getting a bowl from it.

Mike Cruz
08-22-2012, 10:28 AM
Lee, just saw this thread. I think the bowl has character. And that, I like. The exact same bowl in a plain wood might be blah. But this has "look it over" appeal. Keep at it!

Bernie Weishapl
08-22-2012, 11:09 AM
Really nice bowl with great character. Really nicely done.

Lee Alkureishi
08-22-2012, 1:44 PM
thanks folks, I totally understand about the photographs. I will work to try and improve them in the future.

It really appeals to me, to take a piece of wood that some might consider scrap or firewood, and make something interesting from it. It's nice to know I'm not alone!

Dennis Ford
08-22-2012, 1:58 PM
They say you can't make a silk purse from a pig's ear but you made a nice bowl from wood that I would have thrown away. I understand the appeal of transforming junk into treasure and salute you for getting it done.