PDA

View Full Version : Hanging a counter on a steel stud wall

Todd Burch
05-02-2003, 3:29 PM
I'm making some fold-down countertops for a local company. They will be used outside of conference rooms in the hallways to hold catered lunches and such. When not in use, they will be folded down and out of the way. The counter surface itself is 3/4" ply with vertical grade plastic laminate on both sides and t-moulding wrapping the edges and radiused corners.

As you look at the countertop, standing in front of it, it will be 24" deep and 6' wide. On the back edge there will be a piano hinge that connects the countertop to what I am calling a backer-board. The backer board will be of the same construction as the countertop, and having it will allow me to premount my brackets that hold the top in position and care-free positioning when it comes to mounting it and looking for wall studs.

Now my question is this...

Going through 3/4" ply (my backer board), into 1/2" sheetrock and the edge of a steel 2X4 stud (the wall), what would be my best choice for fastening the backer board to the wall and into the steel studs? Sheetrock screws with finishing washers? Molly bolts by pre-drilling a big enough hole? Toggle bolts by drilling a HUGE hole?

One other option is to use a long type of "z"-bracket. One piece (extruded aluminum) mounts to the wall and the other mounts to the back of the backer board, and then the backer board/countertop assembly essentially "hangs" on the wall (until I drive more screws to anchor it in place).

Ideas?

Thanks, Todd.

Phil Phelps
05-02-2003, 4:23 PM
Todd, I install things like this from time to time. Your backer hanger, will be about the length, 72", of your table. And, should come in contact with three metal studs. I like pre drilling the hanger and then attaching with self tapping sheet metal screws. The extreme ends could be attached with sheet rock anchors. I'd use a mastic on the backer hanger, also. Hope this gererates a useful idea.