PDA

View Full Version : thank you bowl

Lee Alkureishi
08-19-2012, 11:03 AM
Hi all,

As part of my pm90 restoration, I had to rewire part of my garage. My friend did me a huge favour by walking me through that, and I promised him the first bowl off the lathe as thanks. Technically, this is the second bowl off, but it was the first bowl started!

It's honey locust, turned wet and dried with DNA soak then paper bag for a week.it cracked some during dying, but nothing catastrophic and it's still the first bowl, warts and all! Finish is teak oil then buffed out.

Thanks for looking

Steve Schlumpf
08-19-2012, 11:06 AM
Bowl looks good Lee! I am sure your friend will love it! What are the dimensions?

Lee Alkureishi
08-19-2012, 11:22 AM
thanks Steve!

The bowl is 9" diameter by 4.5" deep - I always forget to give those!

Does anyone know if teak oil is ok for a food safe finish once cured? If not, I'll tell him it's just a decorative piece :)

Lee

Steve Schlumpf
08-19-2012, 11:27 AM
Lee... have always heard that any finish is food safe once it is fully cured.

Lee Alkureishi
08-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Yeah, that's what I've read too - just wanted to poll the experts :)

Faust M. Ruggiero
08-19-2012, 5:05 PM
Lee,
Interesting way you oriented the grain. At first look I thought you merely had a quatrer sawn blank but a closer examination says you hollowed into the end grain. I'm pretty sure that may have contributed to the cracks. The other thing you might have done is waited a few more weeks after your DNA soak. I like the color of this honey locust. It has a pink cast to it. I'm sure your friend will be happy he took some tome to help you out.
faust

Mike Cruz
08-21-2012, 12:42 PM
Wow, Faust, you're right. I didn't catch that. I knew something was catching my eye (other than the cool color).

Great job, Lee. I'm sure he'll love it.