PDA

View Full Version : Lathe power

Michael D Pawlik
08-19-2012, 10:51 AM
I have a Grizzly lathe, that I bought used, that has a 3/4 horse motor. When I turn even an 8 inch bowl, I can stall the motor with even a medium heavy cut. Not being very experienced, I was wondering if the lathe is that underpowered? Could there be a problem with the motor? If I switch the motor to 220 would that make a difference? Any suggestions?

Steve Schlumpf
08-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Michael - Welcome to the Creek!

Many things can cause a lathe to stall out when turning a bowl... dry wood vs green wood, tool presentation, depth of cut, gouge used, etc. A 3/4 hp motor should be able to handle a small bowl...but you will not be able to horse your way through cuts. Take small cuts, use very sharp tools and take your time.

You do not list where you are located... you can through your personal profile page. Just stated that because there may be a Creeker close by that can help with the situation.

Curt Fuller
08-19-2012, 11:16 AM
Hi Michael. In addition to what Steve has told you, is the lathe motor actually stalling or is the piece you're turning stopping. It could be the belt slipping if the wood is stopping and the motor continues to turn. A simple belt tightening would fix that.

Michael D Pawlik
08-19-2012, 4:49 PM
Thanks for your responses. My tools are sharp, and the motor is stalling, so I do not think it is the belt slipping. Maybe I am expecting too much from my lathe? By the way, I live in NE Pennsylvania.

Michael D Pawlik
08-19-2012, 4:50 PM
WOuld switching the motor to 220 have any effect?

Dennis Ford
08-19-2012, 5:06 PM
Switching to 220 will not any effect on power UNLESS you are having voltage issues. If your 110 - 120 power is poor, switching to 220 will help as that will be less sensitive to voltage drop.

Roger Chandler
08-19-2012, 8:11 PM
I have a 2 hp motor on my lathe.......with a heavy cut, I can stall it............I have a friend with a Oneway 2436 with 3 hp......he can stall his out............nature of the beast unless you go with a 15 hp motor...........then you could break your arm nearly off!

Just lighten up your cuts.........keep sharp tools and know sometimes it happens!

Thomas Canfield
08-19-2012, 9:26 PM
No one has mentioned speed yet, but you may need to increase your speed if possible and still be at a safe speed. The rule of thumb is the Diameter x RPM should be between 6,000 roughing and 9,000 finishing for balanced work. A little more speed, sharp tools, and less agressive cut should take care of stall. What speed adjustment do you have with your lathe?

Bernie Weishapl
08-19-2012, 9:44 PM
My jet has a 3/4 hp motor. It doesn't make any difference what size a bowl from 6" to 11" I can stop it on a dime with a aggressive cut. Like was said sharp, sharp tools, a little speed and lighter cuts will probably cure the stalling.

Michelle Rich
08-20-2012, 6:37 AM
I've used a 3/4 hsp lathe for 20 yrs. Check the belts first. Are they tight enough & on properly? (not over tight) Do they run parralell? SLOW DOWN and go at things gently with sharp tools. You can produce great products with 3/4 horse..folks do it all the time on 1/2 hsp mini lathes. Technique, technique! As for 220..remember VoltsxAmps = watts. Changing to 220 gives you no more watts as your amps go down in 1/2.

Steve Busey
08-20-2012, 9:07 AM
Michael - is your lathe plugged into an outlet, or running off an extension cord? Extension cords are a bad practice for motors - the motor will experience a voltage drop, power loss and could create a hazard as the cord could get hot. If you must use an extension cord, use the heaviest gauge you can find.

Also, make sure your motor isn't already wired for 220!

Mike Cruz
08-21-2012, 12:38 PM
I was thinking along the lines of Thomas... If you have electronic variable speed (no idea "which" Grizzly lathe you have), you probably have hi, med, low speeds by belt pulley, too. So, you don't want to be on the highest belt speed with the electronic speed control down low...then you can easily stall your lathe. You would be better off on the low belt pulley speed, and your electronic speed control as high as possible.