PDA

View Full Version : 'Nuther lumber rack question?

John Miliunas
04-11-2005, 7:35 PM
With my outdoor rack done, I need to redo the one in the shop. Currently, I can only load/offload at one end, which is a royal pain. I'm taking that part of the existing rack down and would prefer to just go with standards and brackets. NO, this is not going to be used to house several hundred brd/ft.! Just odds 'n ends, as well as a storage area for WIP boards, getting acclimated to the shop environment. I think I've settled on what I'll be using: Karl Laustrup has the HD standards and brackets from the Borg, which seem to be doing the job. My question is: My studs are 16"OC. Do I need to hit a standard on each 16" mark or will 32" be good? Maybe one level of 16"OC for the shorter stuff, another at 32"OC for the longer boards? I'm thinking of using the 18" brackets. Any info, insight or recommendation would be appreciated. Oh yeah...I've even considered the Triton racks from Woodcraft and those things show like 48" in between???? Thanks!:) :cool:

Jim Becker
04-11-2005, 8:13 PM
I use some of the Sterling heavy duty standards and brackets (galvanized) from the 'Depot for all my auxiliary lumber storage as well as my shelves for turning stock. They work fine. But you might also consider getting some 4x4 stock, or even double up some 2x4s for verticals and then use lengths of iron pipe in holes drilled to accommodate them. This provides very flexible and strong storage and with those posts lagged into the wall studs, they aren't going to go anywhere. Compare the prices vs buying the standards and brackets. Someone also recently posted a rack made with UniStrut and brackets made to fit it...so many ideas!

Dave Avery
04-11-2005, 8:35 PM
Hi John,

I have the HD/HD brackets holding more lumber than they should using 2X4 vertical supports spaced 24-32" (3 total supports) with no problem at all. It's holding about 300bf. Hope all is well. Dave.

John Miliunas
04-11-2005, 8:38 PM
I use some of the Sterling heavy duty standards and brackets (galvanized) from the 'Depot for all my auxiliary lumber storage as well as my shelves for turning stock. They work fine. But you might also consider getting some 4x4 stock, or even double up some 2x4s for verticals and then use lengths of iron pipe in holes drilled to accommodate them. This provides very flexible and strong storage and with those posts lagged into the wall studs, they aren't going to go anywhere. Compare the prices vs buying the standards and brackets. Someone also recently posted a rack made with UniStrut and brackets made to fit it...so many ideas!

Jim, I saw the Sterlings at their website, but two questions: 1) How much room are you losing from that diagnol used for bracing it? 2) Nowhere did I see any load capacity on them. I checked at HD this afternoon, just to get ideas and they have the double-row standards (by Rubbermaid...RUBBER???) and brackets and they show a load rating of 350lbs.! Hard to believe, though I wouldn't be anywhere close to that.:cool:

John Miliunas
04-11-2005, 8:39 PM
Hi John,

I have the HD/HD brackets holding more lumber than they should using 2X4 vertical supports spaced 24-32" (3 total supports) with no problem at all. It's holding about 300bf. Hope all is well. Dave.

Dave, are those the same type Jim B. is talking about, with the diagnal brace on the bracket?:cool:

Karl Laustrup
04-11-2005, 9:34 PM
Spring, just to jog your memory here's my storage.

I've run every stud because I'm carrying a lot of weight with all my wood as you can see. I also didn't want the boards to sag, which I felt could be a problem using any more than 16" on center brackets.

Are the brackets I have what Jim B. is referring to in his post? I didn't know the name of them, just that they seemed to work for me. I think I'm using 18", as below, but mostly 24", again because I need a lot of wood in a small space.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=13110&stc=1

These are all anchored with 3" square drive screws. They've been holding this stuff for quite a while now, first in the garage and now in the JD shed.

Dave Avery
04-11-2005, 9:50 PM
Dave, are those the same type Jim B. is talking about, with the diagnal brace on the bracket?:cool:

John,

Nope..... just the standard/standard white vertical supports that are screwed into the 2X's ....... with 18" horizontal supports that attach with '2' interlocking hooks. It's amazing how much they hold with no deflection or deformation, although it's holding NOWHERE NEAR as much lumber as Karl's rack. Dave.

John Miliunas
04-11-2005, 9:56 PM
Spring, just to jog your memory here's my storage.

I've run every stud because I'm carrying a lot of weight with all my wood as you can see. I also didn't want the boards to sag, which I felt could be a problem using any more than 16" on center brackets.

Are the brackets I have what Jim B. is referring to in his post? I didn't know the name of them, just that they seemed to work for me. I think I'm using 18", as below, but mostly 24", again because I need a lot of wood in a small space.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=13110&stc=1

These are all anchored with 3" square drive screws. They've been holding this stuff for quite a while now, first in the garage and now in the JD shed.

Karl, thanks for the "refresher"! Great memory but, it only lasts for about 5 min. at a time!:rolleyes: Yes, I believe those are the Sterlings. My thing is, I want to NOT have boards 20-high in the shop. That's where that outdoor holding area comes into play. I want to have two or three levels, each holding maybe 5 or 6 boards high, max. I'm just mainly wondering if those diagnals won't take too much room away from the stack below. Still undecided if I should go 16" or 32" OC. :confused: :cool:

John Miliunas
04-11-2005, 10:01 PM
John,

Nope..... just the standard/standard white vertical supports that are screwed into the 2X's ....... with 18" horizontal supports that attach with '2' interlocking hooks. It's amazing how much they hold with no deflection or deformation, although it's holding NOWHERE NEAR as much lumber as Karl's rack. Dave.

Thanks Dave! I think we're on the "same page" now! I'm pretty sure the ones you have then, are the "Rubbermaid" brand, which I saw today. They had white, black and nickel color. Because I'm usually so aware of fashion statements, I'd have to pick the cheap color!:D I'm thinking that's the way I'm going to go. The ones which Karl & Jim have are probably more heavy-duty, but I don't intend to load them up that much and these will allow me to slide boards all the way in toward the wall, without worrying about hitting the diagnal. Looks like I may have a plan in the works here! Thanks guys!:) Much appreciated. As usual, you guys ROCK!:D :cool:

Dave Avery
04-11-2005, 10:12 PM
Thanks Dave! I think we're on the "same page" now! I'm pretty sure the ones you have then, are the "Rubbermaid" brand, which I saw today. They had white, black and nickel color. Because I'm usually so aware of fashion statements, I'd have to pick the cheap color!:D I'm thinking that's the way I'm going to go. The ones which Karl & Jim have are probably more heavy-duty, but I don't intend to load them up that much and these will allow me to slide boards all the way in toward the wall, without worrying about hitting the diagnal. Looks like I may have a plan in the works here! Thanks guys!:) Much appreciated. As usual, you guys ROCK!:D :cool:

John,

They'e the same ones.... I have 5-6 high by 3 wide with no problems. Cheap and easy. Glad to help. Dave.

Andy Haney
04-11-2005, 10:27 PM
John,

You may not be able to get 18" deep without the diagonal, but I have those brackets (whatever they're called) for shelving in the garage, and the 12" deep standard has no diagonal.

Hope this helps.

Andy Haney

Jeff Sudmeier
04-12-2005, 8:20 AM
John, Thanks for this post. This is something I NEED to get done as well!

Great another to-do :)

Karl Laustrup
04-12-2005, 8:48 AM
Spring, I wish I had my camera, so I could show you the rails and brackets I'm using in the house over the computer desk.

Each rail has two slots and the brackets correspond, in fact they look much like the heavy duty rails in my picture. You might remember I have my stereo above my work bench on this type and they are 24" brackets. I have 12" brackets in the house, but I think they make ones in between those sizes.

For 5-6 boards, as you have suggested, I would think these would be quite sufficient without the diagonal brace. And I would think that you would also be able to go 32" on center. Ideally these boards would only spend a couple of weeks acclimating before use, so I don't see any worry about sagging. You could always add runners later if you find the 32" is not working.

I got all mine at Menards. They're in the regular shelving section. They even come in colors [3] just in case you wish to match any particular decor in the shop. ;) :D

John Miliunas
04-12-2005, 8:52 AM
Spring, I wish I had my camera, so I could show you the rails and brackets I'm using in the house over the computer desk.

Each rail has two slots and the brackets correspond, in fact they look much like the heavy duty rails in my picture. You might remember I have my stereo above my work bench on this type and they are 24" brackets. I have 12" brackets in the house, but I think they make ones in between those sizes.

For 5-6 boards, as you have suggested, I would think these would be quite sufficient without the diagonal brace. And I would think that you would also be able to go 32" on center. Ideally these boards would only spend a couple of weeks acclimating before use, so I don't see any worry about sagging. You could always add runners later if you find the 32" is not working.

I got all mine at Menards. They're in the regular shelving section. They even come in colors [3] just in case you wish to match any particular decor in the shop. ;) :D

Thanks Karl! I may have to check at Menard's as well, then. I'm just about done tearing down what used to be there. All which will be left is the bottom area used for sheetgood storage and the top of that "box", which I'll use as a first level of plank storage. I'll keep you's guys posted!:) :cool:

Brad Knabel
04-12-2005, 11:04 AM
John -
I just put up a batch of the rubbermaid double brackets at home. My approach is similar to yours - our house came with a shed that is only half used. I plan on using that for long-term lumber storage and only keeping a small amount in the shop.

I can't give you much help with the spacing - I have concrete walls in the garage and settled on 24" spacing for the vertical supports. I mounted 34" 2x4s on the wall using concrete anchors and screwed the supports to the 2x4s. I ended up having to do a fair bit of shimming to get things to sit flush.

One suggestion I have is to rip some plywood about 2" wide and screw it to the top of each bracket so that your lumber isn't sitting directly on the brackets. I doubt staining would be an issue but why take a chance?

I've got the rack loaded with the small amount of lumber that we brought with us during a recent move so I can't gauge how accurate rubbermaid's capacity claims are. But things seem very stable and safe.

BTW I got my shelf brackets at Lowe's last weekend and the black 18" brackets were on clearance for something like $2.72 each - it might be worth taking a look if you have one nearby.

John Miliunas
04-13-2005, 9:15 PM
Finally decided on the Rubbermaids. No Brad, sadly, the brackets weren't on closeout, but then, I had to get everything at HD. No Lowe's in the area. The black brackets and "nickel" standards were the least expensive, though. The long parts extend just a touch over 8', followed by 6' and a couple 2' areas for cutoffs deemed as "keepers". I think I may go ahead and extend it out another two standards over to the right. Then I still have the whole top of the sheet goods storage area (underneath). The only question I have is, why in the heck didn't I do this sooner?!:confused: :o :rolleyes: Thanks for all the suggestions and for taking a peek at the nearly completed indoor storage area. Yeah...I know: Get off my butt and fill 'em up, right?:D :cool:

Karl Laustrup
04-14-2005, 7:36 AM
Yep! Them thar brackets look like the ones I was trying to describe in my earlier post. Guess I should start remembering names of stuff, although I didn't ever know whose brand those were.

You have them on 32" center?

Looks like they'll do the job just fine. :)

John Miliunas
04-14-2005, 7:43 AM
Yep! Them thar brackets look like the ones I was trying to describe in my earlier post. Guess I should start remembering names of stuff, although I didn't ever know whose brand those were.

You have them on 32" center?

Looks like they'll do the job just fine. :)

Well, if they don't work, I'll spend a whole lot of time figuring they should've!:rolleyes:

I settled on 18" brackets and, as you did, decided that for the "anti-sag" concern, I ended up going 16"OC. Thanks again for all the info!:) :cool:

Jeff Sudmeier
04-14-2005, 8:51 AM
John,

It looks great! Sure looks a lot cleaner than the old rack you had :)

Karl Laustrup
04-15-2005, 8:28 AM
Well, if they don't work, I'll spend a whole lot of time figuring they should've!:rolleyes:

I settled on 18" brackets and, as you did, decided that for the "anti-sag" concern, I ended up going 16"OC. Thanks again for all the info!:) :cool:

I think you were wise to use 16"OC with these standards and brackets. While I'm sure they'll hold most anything you want, with the weight being carried by more standards and brackets will insure you have no problems.

Greg Hairston
04-15-2005, 9:13 AM
John,
Looking at your Sheet good storage. How will you remove sheets in the back?

Greg

JayStPeter
04-15-2005, 10:04 AM
John,

I use the same sort of brackets. In my old shop, they were also on 16" centers. When I took them down to move, all the screws were bent down from the point they entered the studs to the head. I believe I was using 3" #10s galvanized. In my new shop, I screwed a piece of wood under the standards to help with the shear load. I don't think they would've failed, but it can't hurt. Plus, if I move again I won't have to figure out how to take out a bunch of bent screws again. :rolleyes:

Jay

John Miliunas
04-15-2005, 10:34 AM
John,
Looking at your Sheet good storage. How will you remove sheets in the back?

Greg

Greg, the sheet goods slide in from either, left or right side of rack. The top of it is indeed closed. Pretty easy access; On one side, I roll the W&H out of the way, on the other side I slide garbage barrel out of the way. And, with the outside door being parallel with it, I can make a straight shot right into the sheet storage bay! :) :cool:

Alan Mikkelsen
04-15-2005, 2:23 PM
I use the galvanized heavy T type brackets and standards. I got mine from Lee Valley, but I've seen them at Grizzly, etc. I use 16" spacing, because there's a lot of weight on my wall.

J E (Jim) Martin
04-15-2005, 8:22 PM
Sterling makes a 14" double but you have to watch for it. They sell out as fast as they hit the shelves. Menards is the cheapest and they go on sale a lot.