PDA

View Full Version : iphone and ipad covers

nancy barry
08-18-2012, 8:39 PM
I am looking for a US source for laserable back covers in assorted colors. Good fundraiser if the right colors at the right price are available.

thanks in advance
nancyB

Scott Shepherd
08-19-2012, 9:00 AM
Hi Nancy, haven't seen you hear in a while. I hope all is well. I haven't seen anything laserable, but in the dye sub world, there are some great covers out there with interchangeable backs. The backs are white aluminum, gold anodized aluminum, and silver anodized aluminum. If you can work with any of those, it might be a good option for you. Plus they have things for other smart phones too.

Michael Hunter
08-19-2012, 12:10 PM
I did a load of iPhone backs earlier in the summer.
The customer had got hold of a book of leather samples.
I put double-sided sticky on the back of the leather and cut them out. A few were engraved with a logo too.
Apparently they went very well.

Apple give technical drawings of all their products, along with notes about clearances around camera lenses etc. which is very useful if you are not buying in ready-made covers.
I can share my cutting file too if it helps.

nathan mcafee
08-19-2012, 3:45 PM
I found a great source out of China for aluminum iphone 4 cases. They are cheap and laser very well. Only challenge is that they do impact the strength of the signal a bit. Am happy to share the source if you send me a PM.

Balsanu Gabi
09-24-2012, 2:18 PM
Hi Michael,

Can you post that file?

Thank you in advance
Gabi

Michael Hunter
09-24-2012, 7:07 PM
Here you go (X3 format) -

Keith Outten
09-25-2012, 6:52 AM
I received an email from Conde last week that included information about new covers for iPhones and the new iPhone5.

Khalid Nazim
09-25-2012, 9:45 AM
Hi Michael,

What double sided tape did you use with leather? I am currently in the process of developing leather backs for iPhones and am looking at double sided tapes from 3M or spray adhesives. One feature that is a must is for the tape/glue to be respositionable in case the users want to change the back and the tape/adhesive should not leave any residue.

Regards
Khalid

Michael Hunter
09-25-2012, 1:20 PM
The tape I used was Avery FT349.

It is very strong and NOT repositionable - (think limpets!)

You need a tape that won't peel off round the edges as the phone is pulled out of pockets/handbags.
I'm not sure that you will find a repositionable tape that is strong enough, but let us know if you do!

Many of the tape suppliers I spoke to were worried that their tapes might not stick to leather (including the 3M supplier).
The supplier of the Avery tape thought that it should be OK, but would not guarantee it.
My own tests show that just about any tape sticks to leather very well, so long as you roll or burnish it down hard.

Balsanu Gabi
09-25-2012, 6:14 PM
Here you go (X3 format) -

Thank you.

Gabi