PDA

View Full Version : Motion activated camera

Jay Jolliffe
08-18-2012, 6:28 AM
I'm looking for a motion activated camera that takes still pics....There are a slew of them out there but if anyone here has some info on a certain one I'd like to hear it....I'd like one that battery operated & small. Someone is fooling around in a house I have when were not there & I'd like to find out who..

Lee Schierer
08-18-2012, 12:59 PM
Look at trail cameras. There are lots of them out there, all are battery operated, some will even send the pictures to you via cell phone. Just be sure you hide the camera well so that the two legged intruders don't take it.

Jay Jolliffe
08-18-2012, 2:25 PM
I looked at those but they're to big.... Looking for something that is small and inconspicuous. Something that might blend in.

Jeff Nicol
08-18-2012, 11:37 PM
Reconnyx makes the best and fastet trigger speed motion cameras and have a blacked out IR flash so there is no red glow when it it triggerd. They are not cheap but have a great battery life and great pictures. I have a lot of different ones and the Moultrie M-80xt, M-100 are very good for about 1/3 the Reconnyx. I just picked up another for under $80 that is a Primos IR 35, takes good pictures but has a noticeable click when it takes the picture, but if it located far enough away from where the person is coming in they won't hear it and it has the slight red glow of the IR emitters.

So anywhere from $80 to $600 you can get one that works, the Moultries are small and can be black or camo. I have been using them for about 12 years now for deer hunting and have used a lot of them. Some get eaten up by the bears.

Good luck,

Jeff

Myk Rian
08-19-2012, 7:23 PM
If by chance you have a small computer in the house, the Creative web cams have a motion activated capture feature that will take pics, and send a text to your cell phone with a picture.
I use it when we go on vacation.

Scott Shepherd
08-19-2012, 8:05 PM
Myk, can you post a link to one of those? That's something I've been looking for myself for a while.

Myk Rian
08-21-2012, 6:36 PM
They call it surveillance service now, but with my slightly older cam it's in the Webcam Center area of the software.
http://www.creative.com/mylivecam/products/product.aspx?catID=1&pid=20630

This is similar to the one I have, http://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?catID=218&CatName=Web+Cameras&subCatID=231&subCatName=MIDI+Keyboards&prodID=18083&prodName=Live!+Cam+Chat+IM+(VF0530)&bTopTwenty=1&VARSET=prodfaq:PRODFAQ_18083,VARSET=CategoryID:218

To add to this, a Webcam in the shop can be used to take pictures of your projects, tools, etc., and they'll be on your computer. You don't have to mess with transferring them from your camera, phone, SD memory.