PDA

View Full Version : What are some good quality premade closet systems?

Frank Martin
08-17-2012, 11:49 PM
We are in the process of renovating our bedrooms and will be replacing the closets in 3 bedrooms. The existing closets are reach in with sliding doors. We will get new sliding doors and replace the current white melamine closet system. I am not planning to invest too much money into the closet system, so I went to Home Depot and Lowes but did not like what I saw there. All they had was cheap looking particle board with paper thin plastic veneer type material. Ideally I would like some stained plywood or good quality melamine system. I did some online search but the material descriptions are not very insightful.

I don't mind paying for quality but I am not looking to real high end solid wood systems or willing to pay for design etc. The design is pretty straight forward with shelves, hangers, drawers and laundry basket.

I am looking to get your recommendations on closet systems that I can order and install myself.

Bill Huber
08-18-2012, 7:53 AM
Take a look at the Elfa line at the Container Store, the store helps you design and lay things out. It is not the melamine but they really look nice, but they do cost.

Victor Robinson
08-18-2012, 8:19 AM
The Ikea closet systems aren't bad. I have a lot of experience with their kitchen system and it's quite fantastic, so I'd definitely take a look at their modular closet system as a low-cost starting point.

Frank Martin
08-18-2012, 10:22 AM
Bill, I did have Elfa from Container store in my previous house. I agree they are good, but this time my wife wants solid sections rather than a wire system especially for the drawers so not everything is out in the open

Victor, last time I had anything from Ikea was over 12 years ago and my recollection was their stuff was mostly disposable. I will need to go and look at their system.

Any other suggestions?

Frank Martin
08-19-2012, 1:44 PM
I also found another system; John Louis closet systems. Here is an example on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/John-Louis-Home-JLH-526-Shelving/dp/B000BP7YBC/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1345398185&sr=8-12&keywords=john+louis+home+closet+system

Any real world experience with this?

Harvey Miller
08-19-2012, 6:33 PM
Bill, I did have Elfa from Container store in my previous house. I agree they are good, but this time my wife wants solid sections rather than a wire system especially for the drawers so not everything is out in the open

Victor, last time I had anything from Ikea was over 12 years ago and my recollection was their stuff was mostly disposable. I will need to go and look at their system.

Any other suggestions?

We went with the rubbermaid system. Although it is a wire system they sell 'drawer cubes' to give your dainties some privacy.

They're 'stackable' so you have a few in a column.

Jim Becker
08-19-2012, 7:37 PM
The Ikea closet systems aren't bad. I have a lot of experience with their kitchen system and it's quite fantastic, so I'd definitely take a look at their modular closet system as a low-cost starting point.
I used the white Ikea PAX system and a white IKEA dresser as the basis for our master closet system, customizing things to match our needs. Considering time and materials, I couldn't touch this "custom" and it left more time for the cherry vanities that were the showcase of the master suite (and guest suite and wet bar). Even their kitchen carcases are pretty nice, considering they use the Blum metal drawer and closure systems. I just don't like their "wood" doors and drawers where there is zero attention to matching figure and color.

Frank Martin
08-20-2012, 1:45 AM
Harvey, thanks for sharing this. drawer cubes definitely address the issue with the drawers. Are you happy with the quality of the materials?

We went with the rubbermaid system. Although it is a wire system they sell 'drawer cubes' to give your dainties some privacy.

They're 'stackable' so you have a few in a column.

Jim, my closets are all reach-in type, not walk-in. I looked into the dimensions of the PAX system and they all appear to be around 24 inches deep, which would not fit into my closets. So, unless Ikea has components in 12" - 16" does not seem like this would be an option. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I used the white Ikea PAX system and a white IKEA dresser as the basis for our master closet system, customizing things to match our needs. Considering time and materials, I couldn't touch this "custom" and it left more time for the cherry vanities that were the showcase of the master suite (and guest suite and wet bar). Even their kitchen carcases are pretty nice, considering they use the Blum metal drawer and closure systems. I just don't like their "wood" doors and drawers where there is zero attention to matching figure and color.

Harvey Miller
08-20-2012, 8:04 PM
Hi Frank:
I would call the quality 'average'. It's something that worked well for us. I believe Home Depot etc, carries
the line, so you can check them out. Here's a quick pic of our setup (excuse the mess!)
Harvey

Frank Martin
08-21-2012, 6:34 PM
Hi Harvey, thanks for the additional information and the picture. I went to look at the Elfa again at Container Store and if I can convince my wife will go with that system again. Otherwise John Louis seems like a reasonable option that I may try by getting a small set and decide if I want to do all closets with the same system.

Hi Frank:
I would call the quality 'average'. It's something that worked well for us. I believe Home Depot etc, carries
the line, so you can check them out. Here's a quick pic of our setup (excuse the mess!)
Harvey