PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing Baby Crib

Brent Dorner
08-17-2012, 9:31 PM
I have a pine crib in what I imagine is a clear poly finish.

I want to stain it a dark chocolate

So, other than sanding is their a good way to strip the current stain?? Something non-toxic

As far as finish, I need something baby safe, I heard all finished that is cured is safe... I'm not sure if I believe that. Any ideas?? I guess I would be putting a clear over the stain, so I guess I would need ideas for that

What will be the best way to get a deep color... just a matter of how long I leave the stain on before wiping the excess?

Thanks for any help.

Cody Kemble
08-17-2012, 10:59 PM
The "Soy gel" paint remover works well and is supposed to be environmentally friendly. It sure doesn't have the fumes the regular stripper does. (we can use it on the submarine without extra ventilation). Once cured all finishes are safe, however it can take quite awhile for certain finishes to fully cure (oil varnishes off-gas for quite awhile). I decided to just go with shellac for my daughter's crib. If she chews it it's completely safe and I can just scuff sand and spray another coat.
As far as deep color since its pine you may want to treat the wood so it takes the stain evenly. You can leave it on longer and use multiple coats. What kind of stain were you going to use?

Brent Dorner
08-17-2012, 11:15 PM
The "Soy gel" paint remover works well and is supposed to be environmentally friendly. It sure doesn't have the fumes the regular stripper does. (we can use it on the submarine without extra ventilation). Once cured all finishes are safe, however it can take quite awhile for certain finishes to fully cure (oil varnishes off-gas for quite awhile). I decided to just go with shellac for my daughter's crib. If she chews it it's completely safe and I can just scuff sand and spray another coat.
As far as deep color since its pine you may want to treat the wood so it takes the stain evenly. You can leave it on longer and use multiple coats. What kind of stain were you going to use?

thanks for your response. Will the soy gel remove a clear coat poly?

as far as what kind of stain was I going to use... I'm open for suggestions. In the past I generally go clear but my wife wants it stained. Also, what type of treatment are you referring to so it accepts the stain evenly?

Cody Kemble
08-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Soy gel will remove poly.

If you are using an oil-based stain use wood conditioner to aid in an even finish. If water based, I would mist the wood with water before staining to help with an even coat. Proper and even sanding is probably the most important for even coating. A gel stain may be your best shot for a deep color as it will sit on the wood evenly longer. I like General Finishes products they work well for me. They have a pretty good website http://www.generalfinishes.com/