PDA

View Full Version : flexi hinge heart box??

Glen Monaghan
08-17-2012, 8:27 PM
I thought I found this picture on SMC but can't locate the thread or who did it. Anybody recognize it? I'd appreciate a pointer to whoever did it. I wanted to make something similar next week for my daughter's birthday and thought, if the designer was willing to share the file, it would save a bit of drawing and fit testing. TIA.

-Glen

Bruce Hoffman
08-17-2012, 8:54 PM
found pic. at #36 here by Michael Hunter no .cdr though

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?175268-I-think-this-is-a-laser-cut-wood-hinge-pretty-clever!

found different one at thingiverse:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:17311

Michael Hunter
08-18-2012, 5:49 AM
Since it is for a present, here is the file in X3 format.

Have fun

Frank Corker
08-19-2012, 7:13 AM
They're very nice and the workmanship is excellent. Although I can't help the feeling that they look like air-filters for carburetors.

Ernie Balch
08-19-2012, 7:37 AM
Yes, they are very nice designs. They might look even better with a red finish.

Michael Hunter
08-19-2012, 8:09 AM
Although I can't help the feeling that they look like air-filters for carburetors.

Thanks for the idea Frank!

I'll email pictures to Ford and Vauxhall - see what they think.

Glen Monaghan
08-19-2012, 11:39 AM
Thanks for sharing this!

-Glen

Jiten Patel
08-20-2012, 9:09 AM
Those are very cool indeed! Could be very useful - thank you for posting this up!

Martin Boekers
08-20-2012, 10:12 AM
Thanks Mike for sharing. You know it would be interest to have a challange here to
see what our crew can come up with for using the hinge cut process.

Anyone up for it? How about it Keith?

Peter Meacham
08-21-2012, 8:29 AM
Michael

Very nice thanks. I made one of each and they came out nice (painted the heart red). But I was asked to make the heart one a bit bigger, say roughly 4 x 4 inches (100 x 100 mm). Would you think a direct 1:1 enlargement would work?

Pete

Michael Hunter
08-21-2012, 11:46 AM
Making the heart box bigger by simply selecting it all in Corel would probably work, but it might not go together so tidily.

The grooves for the sides to fit into would probably end up a bit too wide - but if the sides are stretched, then the grooves do need to be a little bit wider.
I'm not sure about the sides and their flexibility when enlarged.

If I was to make a bigger one, I would probably stretch the sides by not more than 1.5 times and then duplicate a section to make it up to the required length.

(A bigger heart would be a LOT easier to glue together!)

Glen Monaghan
08-21-2012, 1:05 PM
I've made two test runs with the pattern. After the 1st run, I increased the thickness of the grooves to, IIRC, .138 inches to make it easier to insert the flexible sides. Also, to speed up cutting, I decreased the number of slots in the side about 10 percent by spacing them out slightly. It seemed like the sides were also just a bit long, so after spacing out the slots within the original length, I shortened the length by dropping a long and a pair of short slots. And then I tweaked the inside cut on the rim/lid piece so it didn't intersect the grooved area.

Thanks again!

-Glen