PDA

View Full Version : CorelDraw X6.1 Update available

Mike Chance in Iowa
08-17-2012, 5:08 PM
For those of you running Corel Draw X6, there is a new update that hopefully fixes a lot of problems. I've been crashing my X6 all afternoon trying to update some old files. Downloading the new update now. It would be really nice if they set up our old color dockers. It's really annoying to no longer look in the object manager and see how thick an outline is. (You have to select it in order to see the data in the lower right corner.)

Michael Kowalczyk
08-17-2012, 6:29 PM
Read my post about the changes in the new TOS before you update it.

Mike Chance in Iowa
08-17-2012, 7:07 PM
Yeah, I saw that. I agree with the others. This is what causes people to bootleg. It doesn't matter if it's right or wrong. Good, honest people get upset with losing something they worked hard to pay for! I did receive a new warning after I downloaded the update. When I went to open X6 after installing the update, the message said "There is a limt to the number of machines you can access your subscription/membership entitlements on. Completing the sign-on on this machine will increase your count by 1. Do you wish to continue? Yes/No"

Since I know I have a clean, first-time X6 install on a brand new hard drive, I didn't waste my time with saying No to see if it would kick me out.

This update did make it more stable. I have yet to crash it while doing the same minor things I repeatedly crashed it on this morning. I am not seeing any changes in the color dockers, yet there is mention of improvements to the color harmonies & color styles docker in the update.

Paul Brinkmeyer
08-18-2012, 11:41 AM
You can turn the details on/off.
right under the words object manager there should be some boxes. My LH box says "show object properties"
This list the properties without selection them on my X6.

Mike Chance in Iowa
08-18-2012, 8:40 PM
You can turn the details on/off.
right under the words object manager there should be some boxes. My LH box says "show object properties"
This list the properties without selection them on my X6.

Perfect! I had not noticed that button before! Thank you! That solves one more problem.

After working with the same types of files I have been constantly crashing on since switching to X6, so far, I have yet to crash these types of files on the X6.1 service pack update. Now if they would only fix it so it doesn't take me 4 minutes to save a file that used to only take me about 30 seconds to save in X3 and I would be much happier!

Steve Clarkson
08-22-2012, 10:46 AM
I don't have X6, but I did get an e-mail from Foster Coburn today recommending that people NOT install the update.......

Michael Hunter
08-22-2012, 12:50 PM
As you may have seen from my post in the TOS thread -

X6.0 automatically downloads the X6.1 upgrade.
The first that you know about this is when it tells you it wants to install it.

PS Steve - who is Foster Coburn?

Mike Null
08-22-2012, 3:08 PM
Michael

Go to Foster's web site at Graphics Unleashed.com.

Michael Hunter
08-22-2012, 6:20 PM
Thanks Mike

Had a look - he does not seem too keen on X6.1

Have to live with the wretched "wanting to install" pop-up until this gets sorted out.

Interesting that the EULA still allows 3 installs according to the Corel guy.

Mike Chance in Iowa
08-22-2012, 7:36 PM
After using the update for a few days, there has been some improvement such as it's much more stable on my XP computer. I was crashing files constantly, and now I have only crashed once. But, when it crashed, it didn't give me the Recovery Wizard, but totally dumped Corel and corrupted the file I was working on. (Thankfully I had a back-up and only needed to redo the changes I made.)

I DO NOT like the new Align & Distribute Docker. Instead of opening a pop-up window when you go into Align & Distribute, it opens a docker. If you select an alignment option you didn't like, you cannot Ctrl + Z to undo it. You either have to select Edit Undo from the menu OR you need to unselect your items (just click on white space on the desktop) and then you can Ctrl + Z and it will finally undo your last action.

Also, there is that annoying icon in the lower right now that lets me know I'm not signed in to their new membership program. Now, when Corel crashes, and I have to re-open Corel, it takes much longer to open the program .... because if you are not signed in Corel will pop up a new window asking you to sign in. You must either sign in or make sure you select "Do Not Ask Again" in the lower right corner and cancel, then confirm that you really want to cancel, before it will open the Corel app for you.

Scratch that about only crashing once. I've crashed it several more times and corrupted my files several more times with i/o errors since I posted this message a few hours ago.