PDA

View Full Version : 1/8’’ brass best place to buy?

richard poitras
08-17-2012, 2:40 PM
1/8’’ brass best place to buy?
I am looking to buy some 1/8’’ brass to make a veneer hammer and was wondering where I could purchase some? I check in my area were they sell metal but no one carries the smaller brass. Any suggestion would be apresheated.
Or if someone had some that I could get from them would be great too. I only need a small piece.
Thanks Richard

Mac McQuinn
08-17-2012, 3:02 PM
Rich,
I have a piece of 1/16" you can have although that's the best I can do. Free for the taking. Can you double it up by silver soldering it together?
Mac

James Baker SD
08-17-2012, 3:09 PM
hobby shops that carry RC airplanes and model railroads might have something like that.

Jerome Stanek
08-17-2012, 3:35 PM
Have you tried Mcmaster Carr

Eric DeSilva
08-17-2012, 4:07 PM
I think someone at SMC once recommended MetalsDepot.com. There's also onlinemetals.com. I've bought some reasonably priced drops from the latter when I've needed small, strange pieces.

Edit: That is metalSdepot.com, not metaldepot.com the way I originally wrote...
Edit: And... correction number two... its "onlinemetals.com" not "metalmart.com" the way I originally wrote.

Apparently I shouldn't do things by memory.

richard poitras
08-17-2012, 5:39 PM
Mac Thanks for the free bee but I think I am going to go with ordering it from one of the web sites that are listed in this thread. Once again I do appreciate the offer and guys thanks for the tips to where I can get the brass.

Richard

Rick Lizek
08-17-2012, 6:00 PM
Can't go wrong with McMaster!!!!!

Harvey Melvin Richards
08-17-2012, 6:36 PM
I've gotten small diameter (1/4" and under) from a welding supply house. My Ace Hardware also has a selection of small metals.

But I order from McMaster 3 or 4 times a week, so they're my go to place.

Larry Edgerton
08-17-2012, 7:01 PM
If you have an Alro Steel location close to you they can fix you right up. They have everthing in their Potterville distribution center, over 12,000 different metals. If the local store does not have what you need they will tomorrow.

Larry

Johannes Becker
08-17-2012, 7:14 PM
Amazonsupply - free shipping with your normal prime membership if you have one (my wife does :-)