PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy haze, Target Coatings EM1000 sealer

Seth Dolcourt
08-17-2012, 12:39 PM
Hi, Creekers,

I have this posted at Target Coatings, but figured I'd present the issue to this community.

Project is a birch drum shell.

Situation is 2 coats of EM1000 over Watco natural. (The Watco has been curing for 2+ weeks.) The EM1000 product sprayed on very nicely, no apparent bonding issues.

I sanded dry with 400 grit, leveling the very minimal orange peel, and wiped off the dust first with H2O, then with 50/50 mix of de-natured alcohol and H20 that has been recommended.

A second drum shell, maple, finished with Watco and the same 2 coats of EM1000, and wiped the same way, does not have any of this blue cloudy haze.

Can anyone identify the root cause, and the fix?

Cheers,
Seth

Jamie Buxton
08-17-2012, 3:19 PM
It looks like something wiped on. Maybe your wiping rag was contaminated?

Seth Dolcourt
08-17-2012, 5:02 PM
Always a possibility, though I used a fresh paper towel.

Anyone else used the de-natured alcohol / H20 wash? It is really necessary, will plain water do the job? Or does the DNA create a micro tooth to which the finish coat can stick?

John Coloccia
08-20-2012, 7:50 AM
That line of products from Target tends to get a blue cast to it if it goes on too heavy or if you spray is very humid conditions. The usual fix is simply wait and it will go away on it's own. Get it into a warm, DRY area. It's the waterborne equivalent of blush. I think a wipedown with DNA helps also if I remember right.

Seth Dolcourt
08-21-2012, 1:36 AM
Thanks for the input, John.

I waited a full day, and the blue cloudiness did not disappear on its own accord. So I hit the shell with 400 wet/dry sandpaper (kept it dry), and erased the problem. I might further erase it back to bare wood, and start again.

I'm a spraying noob; there is plenty to learn.