PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding a tool

Perry Holbrook
04-11-2005, 3:36 PM
I'm looking for a tool I've seen at Home Depot in the past, but now they don't seem to know what I'm talking about.

It was a bucket about the size of a regular 5 gal plastic bucket, but it had mixer blades inside and a top that could be secured. It is used to mix small amounts of concrete for small repair jobs. I think you filled it up and then rolled it around to mix the batch. I need an easy, low dust way to mix up Olivine sand, Alumina, and Bentonite dry for sand casting glass.

A google search has so far turned up nothing. Anyone remember seeing one of these or perhaps what it was called.

Thanks
Perry

PS Please pardon the off topic question, I'm in a bit of a bind on this.

Tom Jones III
04-11-2005, 3:46 PM
At Home Depot, in the tile section there should be a large paddle used for mixing the mortar and concrete used to set tiles. People have large hand drill type machines that they put these into to mix the mortar. My wife wanted to set about 2000 sq. feet of tile and didn't have the upper body strength to mix all that concrete so I chucked one of these paddles into an old drill press, set it to the slowest setting and it worked great. You could easily drill a small hole in a 5 gal. bucket lid for the shank to come out of and do the same thing.

Dan Stuewe
04-11-2005, 3:57 PM
Just did a quick google search on "concrete mixer roll" and got a bunch of hits. here's one of them...

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/nationalgardening/13-1015.html

Dan Oelke
04-11-2005, 4:43 PM
You want to google for "odjob" - I have had one for a dozen or so years and it works great. Froggle shows them for about $25. I think they say you can do a 60lb bag of ready-crete it in. I have found that if I keep it to 40lbs or less it does a better job. Reach in with a small trowel and scape the edges once or twice helps mix it up without spending as much time rolling it around.

Perry Holbrook
04-11-2005, 5:12 PM
Thanks, odjob is the one I was looking for. I need to get better with the google search.

Perry

John Gregory
04-11-2005, 5:25 PM
I think I threw mine away. I hated it. It was too heavy and lopside to roll long enough to mix the concrete well.

Mike Wilkins
04-12-2005, 10:15 AM
Use the wheelbarrow and hoe method. I mixed up enough concrete for a
12 X 20 foot foundation for a sunroom addition using this method. These
bucket mixers you describe are best for mixing enough mud for one fence post
at a time; fine if that is what you need it for. Or you could check with your
local rental tool outlet for a mixer if you need a lot. Good luck.

Ellen Benkin
04-12-2005, 11:57 AM
I know OSH had it a couple of month ago. OSH is owned by Sears, so maybe they have it also. I think they had it in different sizes. I was doing a small tile job and decided I could mix the mortar in a regular bucket with a mixer attached to my hand drill. The bucket and mixer were a lot cheaper than the mixing bucket.