PDA

View Full Version : The Tradition Woodworker Company House Brand Chisel?

richard poitras
08-17-2012, 10:58 AM
Anyone ever try this brand chisel from The Tradition Woodworker Company? (House brand) I am in need of a 1 ½’’ bench chisel only and was wondering what your thoughts are? Basically I am wanting something with decent quality that will hold a good edge, but does not have to be the very best. Here is a description on the chisel from the manufacture.
Unit Price: $30.95

Thanks Richard

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/101-1011-lg.jpg

Detailed Description

This particular Bevel Edge Chisel has a 1-1/2" wide cutting edge. The stated sizes are true imperial inch sizes and not metric approximations. Made according to the most stringent German industrial norms, these Bevel Edge Chisels are made by one of the remaining chisel makers in Germany. The blades are hand-forged from special German high carbon steel and hardened and tempered to a guaranteed level of Rc 61. The ability to take and hold an edge has been further enhanced by adding small amounts of Chromium and Vanadium alloys to the steel. The blades are mirror polished to facilitate re-sharpening and honing. Sturdy and double-hooped hornbeam handles allows for mallet use should it be needed. Although pretty sharp straight from the box a final honing to suit individual preferences is recommended. The blade lengths range between 4 3/4” and 6”. Overall lengths range between 9 3/4” and 12”. Each chisel also comes with an edge guard for added protection. Made in Germany. Traditional Woodworker Trademark. View Traditional Woodworker's Entire Selection of Woodworking Chisels (http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/departments.asp?dept=39)

David Weaver
08-17-2012, 12:21 PM
I'm sure it would be fine. it's probably made by hirsch/2 cherries or MHG, you never know.

It's going to be chrome vanadium steel, and probably not too much different in reality vs. the Narex chisels (perhaps a few ticks harder), except for shape and handle shape.

Jim Koepke
08-17-2012, 12:29 PM
My preference is for socket chisels. Often my hand is used to "bump" the chisel so the hoops are another thing not to my liking.

Do they match up with other chisels in your shop?

Is it a size you will use often?

jtk

richard poitras
08-17-2012, 2:08 PM
The chisel is going to be used for veneer work. I recently picked up the Paul Schurch video on Marquetry and he recommends using the two cherries chisel for some of the veneer cutting but at about $60.00 for the two cherries chisel I was thinking there might be a cheaper alternative and still work fine. I currently have a nice set of Pfeil chisels that I am happy with but they only go up to 1”.
Thanks Richard

Kenneth Speed
08-17-2012, 2:14 PM
Actually I've been eyeing them for a while to fill the gaps in my Lee Nielsen chisel set. I do have the mortice chisels which I believe are by the same maker and I've been satisfied with them.

Ken

Mike Henderson
08-17-2012, 3:07 PM
The chisel is going to be used for veneer work. I recently picked up the Paul Schurch video on Marquetry and he recommends using the two cherries chisel for some of the veneer cutting but at about $60.00 for the two cherries chisel I was thinking there might be a cheaper alternative and still work fine. I currently have a nice set of Pfeil chisels that I am happy with but they only go up to 1”.
Thanks Richard
Paul is very good at cutting veneer with a chisel. I found that I'm not very good at using a chisel so I went with a knife to cut veneer. Works fine for me.

If you do go with the chisel, you need to slightly round the end of the chisel - the end that you'll use to make your cuts.

And if you go with a chisel, it does not have to be 1.5" - it can be somewhat narrower and it'll work fine.

Mike

Chris Vandiver
08-17-2012, 3:20 PM
If you decide to buy a new 1 1/2" chisel, this would be a good choice; http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/ashley_iles_bench.htm

Nice O-1 steel

Good luck

richard poitras
08-17-2012, 5:54 PM
I did talk to The Tradition Woodworker Company and the sales guy could not state where they were made (marketing confidentially) but he did make me believe that were coming out of the same factories as the other Germany chisels they sell so I think the quality would be pretty good.
Chris I do think the Ashley Iles would be a good choice as well. I am going to have to think about it as I have two Pm’s about some used ones as well.
Thanks Richard

James Owen
08-17-2012, 6:33 PM
Pfeil makes a 32 mm, a 35 mm, and a 40 mm chisel, giving you roughly 1-1/4", 1-3/8", and 1-1/2". One of them might fit your needs.

lowell holmes
08-17-2012, 7:38 PM
I've purchased from Traditional Woodworker. I think they are a good dealer.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
08-17-2012, 8:39 PM
For cutting veneer for banding type stuff, where it's almost a rocking tpye motion, rather than a heavy chop, and often you use the mirrored back to help get your angles dead on, which I'm guessing is similar to how it's being used in marquetry, I've often used a plane blade (outside of the plane of course) quite well for the job.