PDA

View Full Version : Exterior door finish recommendations

Bob Rufener
08-17-2012, 10:42 AM
Yesterday, I stopped at my sister's house and my brother in law showed me their south facing front door. It is a solid oak door-stained and varnished. Because of an overhang, the sun mainly hits on the lower section of the door. He said he has revarnished it several times but it only lasts about 3 years before the finish starts pealing off. He has never stripped the door to bare wood but has sanded and varnished with the best recommended finish from a reputable paint shop. I told him I would post the issue on this forum to see what helpful suggestions the forum may offer. The upper part of the door looks good as it is only the part of the door that receives direct sunlight that is affected. We live in Wisconsin so it has to withstand extremes of hot and cold. Thanks in advance for any suggestions of methods and products.

Scott Holmes
08-17-2012, 11:46 AM
A top quality marine varnish (non-poly is better) will be the best clear finish for your sister's door.

3 years is about right.. No clear finish will last more than 3-5 years in direct sunlight. The UV inhibitors in marine varnishes gets used up and must be recoated. In Houston big box store polyurethane marine varnish will last about 6 months.

A top quality non-poly marine varnish from a boat supply house or marina will provide the best protection. It will still need to be scuff sanded and recoated every few years. Epifanes is one of the best.