PDA

View Full Version : Paint Recommendations

Kevin Baker
08-17-2012, 6:50 AM
Hi Everyone-

I've read a lot of different post here dealing with painting acrylic, color fill, etc. Here is my application:

I purchase standard picture frames, I pull out the glass, put on an adhesive stencil film, reverse cut out my word (ie last name), spray paint, let dry for at least 2 days, put back in laser cut out more words (ie First name) spray paint with different color, let dry, then paint the background color. I've learned the 2nd color will case 1st color to crack if it's not completely dry. Once all the painting is done, back into the frame and to the customer.

Currently I'm using Painter's Touch by Rust-Oleum for several reasons. 1) Available at just about all Home Depots, 2) Lots of colors 3) Folks can purchase their own color combinations. I'm using 3 colors now, 1 for last name, 1 for first name and 1 for background color.

I'm trying to get my head around the different types of paint to maybe switch to can paint. The reason is once it turns cold, spray painting will be more difficult in not impossible. I'm trying to bring this process inside and decrease the turnaround time.

I tried the small model paint Testors, which covered great and dried fast. I noticed (with the help of a magnifying glass) the small bottle had Enamel on it.... so while at Home Depot I saw the small 1/2 pint cans of rust-oleum that read protective enamel... I didn't see the "oil based" at the bottom until I got home. I purchased 3 cans of this stuff, but haven't tried it yet because if it's the wrong stuff, I can take it back.

My head is spinning with all the different kinds of paint... acrylic, oil based, enamel, latex... When the wife goes shopping for paint for inside the house, she gets to pick her colors from the paint aisle, the folks behind the counter mix it up and put that great sticker on the top of the can. Could I use that kind of paint for this project?

Soooo..having said all of that, I'm looking for recommendations to:

1) Paint glass using a mask (not sure if all paints work well with masks)
2) Paint from a can (no more spray cans)
3) multiple layers (I'll paint last name, then first name, remove mask and paint background)
4) Fast drying (I'm thinking I could paint last name, wait an hour paint first name let dry overnight, remove mask paint background)

I hope this makes sense. This seems to be an area where there really is no "right answer", but I don't want to waste money trying things others already have discovered won't work.

Thanks everyone,
Kevin

Mike Null
08-17-2012, 9:30 AM
Kevin

Have you considered switching to an airbrush? If you're doing multiples where you can use the same color that might be a good option and you can buy airbrush paints in virtually every variety.

Here's a very good site recommended to me by Dee Gallo. http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/abpaintgate.aspx?gclid=CLjk-rTi7rECFYVrKgodlgcAkw

Kevin Baker
08-17-2012, 11:24 AM
Mike -

Actually this is something I've been thinking about doing. It very well may be the answer I've been looking for.

AL Ursich
08-17-2012, 12:03 PM
Senior Chief,

I deal with the Winter Blues too when it comes to painting signs and some oil base finish. I hate bringing them into my shop after painting out on my deck to dry in the heated shop. The Smell and out gassing is no treat. My way to deal with it was to use a old refrigerator placed in the back un heated storage room in the back of my shop. I wired in a few 100 watt light bulbs and a Thermostat like used to turn on and off electric heat. Once turned on it gets warm but not hot. The Thermostat is just for safety. I have a slot cut in the bottom for intake air and a Dryer Vent pipe to the outside to vent. Works Great and I don't need to deal with the fumes. The thought of an explosive environment inside the fridge was a thought as oil base paint dried... The Thermostat is sealed... no problems yet.... I paint mostly latex paint and spray Poly - Spar varnish.

If I did it again I would use an external thermostat with sensor in the frig.

Just a thought.

AL

FCC(SW) Retired Navy

Braden Todd
08-17-2012, 2:41 PM
I like one shot paint as well as Montana gold, the Montana dries very fast and is a low odor spray can. Both should be at most paint shops/ art supply stores

Kevin Baker
08-17-2012, 5:45 PM
Al -

Not a bad setup at all. If this airbrushing deal doesn't work out I may have to look into this..

Braden - I've read about the Montana Gold stuff, I may look into that as welll.. at least try a can.

Thanks,
Kevin