PDA

View Full Version : Just another Bowl

Kathy Marshall
08-16-2012, 11:50 PM
Just finished this one up tonight.
I got a little load of what I believe is some type of Acacia (I've gotten this same type a couple of other times). The biggest log was just enough to get a couple of almost 12" blanks, and I also got a crotch pieces that also yielded a couple similar sized blanks.
I turned the outside on Sunday, ran out of time and wrapped it in plastic. Got back to it on Tuesday and turned the inside, then wrapped it up again and was able to get back to it tonight to do the sanding and finish the bottom.
From my previous experience, this wood is nearly as stable as mesquite, and this piece stayed true right through to the end.
It's about 11" x 4" with a coat of walnut oil. I'll finish it up with some Mahoneys walnut oil/wax. This one will be going to a friend.

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

John Kent
08-17-2012, 5:10 AM
Beautiful job Kathy,

That wood is so purty, your friend will be thrilled and now I want to be a friend to you too!! :D

Michelle Rich
08-17-2012, 5:42 AM
Lucky friend...the wood is wonderful

Don McClure
08-17-2012, 7:57 AM
There is beauty in simplicity and letting the wood speak for it's self. Greal looking bowl!

Allan Ferguson
08-17-2012, 8:35 AM
Great looking wood, and bowl.

Tim Rinehart
08-17-2012, 9:04 AM
Wonderful work on a bowl I'm sure your friend will cherish for many years.

Scott Lux
08-17-2012, 9:28 AM
"Just another bowl". Right and Mona Lisa is just another portrait.

Very nice.

Bob Bergstrom
08-17-2012, 10:51 AM
That sure is a nice piece of wood. So much going on for a common section of the tree. Multi color and a lot of swirl. Well turned as usual. Thanks for sharing and all you contribute here at the Creek.

Brian Libby
08-17-2012, 6:07 PM
great looking piece-love the contrast!

Scott Hackler
08-17-2012, 6:31 PM
Nice one Kathy. I love the coloring in that Arizona wood.

James Roberts
08-17-2012, 8:21 PM
Nature gave us some pretty wood, you just made some of it better. Well done.

Rick Markham
08-18-2012, 1:04 AM
That's a super piece Kathy. That's some spectacular Acacia, beautiful form as well! You nailed the grain orientation.

Kathy Marshall
08-18-2012, 1:22 AM
Thanks everyone! I think I'll be turning the other half of this log this weekend and I'll be taking a few pieces to our club meeting tomorrow. Maybe one of the club members will be able to give me a positive ID on the wood.

Beautiful job Kathy,

That wood is so purty, your friend will be thrilled and now I want to be a friend to you too!! :D
I think she'll be happy with it, and you know I consider you a friend John ;).

"Just another bowl". Right and Mona Lisa is just another portrait.

Very nice.
Scott, I can take credit for a nice basic bowl form, but mother nature gets the credit for painting the canvas! Just glad I saw the logs and recognized the wood!

That sure is a nice piece of wood. So much going on for a common section of the tree. Multi color and a lot of swirl. Well turned as usual. Thanks for sharing and all you contribute here at the Creek.
Thanks Bob, I'm hoping the crotch piece surprises me with some nice feather to go with the color!

Bernie Weishapl
08-18-2012, 11:33 AM
Beautiful bowl and beautiful wood. The acacia I have turned has been that colorful.

Steve Schlumpf
08-18-2012, 11:36 AM
Impressive bowl! Love the grain and all those colors! Your friend is going to love it!