PDA

View Full Version : George Washington's Washbasin

Malcolm Tibbetts
08-16-2012, 9:10 PM
In a current posting, Tim Rinehart showed a very nice vessel turned from rare American Chestnut. Here is another example of this very rare wood. A few years ago I was invited to create something from “historical” woods. Bill Jewell operated a business called Historical Woods of America. Sadly Bill just recently passed on. He was very passionate about collecting woods from various historical sites. The water pitcher (called a guglet) and the washbasin are modeled after a Chinese ceramic set used in George Washington’s bedroom at Mt Vernon. The woods are horse chestnut (planted by Washington), cherry from Washington’s boyhood home, walnut from his whiskey distillery, and sycamore from his gristmill. The basin is 15” in diameter. This was a very special project for me. All comments are welcome.

Roger Chandler
08-16-2012, 10:08 PM
Excellent craftsmanship and creativity, Malcolm.......and the historical nature of the wood, preserving it for future generations is such a wise use of such a treasure. Congratulations on a fine display of artisan-ship and propriety. Superb!

Rick Markham
08-16-2012, 11:22 PM
Very Cool Malcolm! That's pretty amazing to get to use those woods.

Allan Ferguson
08-17-2012, 8:37 AM
Wonderful job with some truly special wood.

Tim Rinehart
08-17-2012, 9:02 AM
Malcom, that's truly some unique historical wood! I like seeing them used in a period piece like this, which just adds to the story.
Interesting, "guglet"...had never heard of that! Makes me think of something used for anything but water. Picture ol George just sitting around talking about plans for the new country .. "boys, pass me my guglet...we're gonna toast!" .
Ok, definite dramatization.
Love these pieces and pyro work, as well as how you presented the repeating pattern on the bowl.

Scott Hackler
08-17-2012, 9:33 AM
Very interesting Malcolm. I find it interesting that people have taken the time to preserve these and other woods that are tied to historical figures. Expecially the founders of our country. Thanks for sharing this with us.

charlie knighton
08-17-2012, 3:14 PM
great pieces, i assume you still have some scraps around, hope to see more, glad a turner of your caliaber was able to acquire these virginia woods

Ken Glass
08-17-2012, 5:17 PM
Malcolm,
The history just pours from this set. As always, your work is inspiring, and truly appreciated when you post it. Thank You.

James Roberts
08-17-2012, 8:52 PM
Wonderful use of rare and historical wood Malcolm. Any founding father would be proud to own such a set.

Jim Burr
08-17-2012, 11:18 PM
Hard to think of anyone better to undertake the effort. Well done sir!

Doug W Swanson
08-18-2012, 11:06 AM
Even without all of the historical significance of the wood, those are beautiful pieces. Add in the history of the wood and it makes them even better!

Bernie Weishapl
08-18-2012, 11:15 AM
Beautiful pieces Malcolm. The history of the wood is awesome.

Steve Schlumpf
08-18-2012, 11:20 AM
Wow! What a unique way to preserve some of our history! Beautiful work Malcolm... as always!

Len Mullin
08-19-2012, 4:39 PM
Absolutely amazing form, fit, and finish are perfectly executed in these two pieces, and the historic woods that were used make it even more perfect if that's possible. As for scrapes or bits and pieces, don't for get that it takes very small pieces of wood to make a pen blank. Malcolm you may not turn pens, but I know that there has be people who would love to have the left-overs if you have no use for them. Just an thought because, sometimes people never think to save valuable scrapes like these for pen blanks, especially if they don't turn pens.
Len

Ryan Baker
08-19-2012, 4:50 PM
What an interesting project! It's a rare opportunity to have the chance to work with such historic supplies.