PDA

View Full Version : Collar for an old Wood Screw?

Mike Olson
08-16-2012, 9:02 PM
I got an old wood screw from e-bay for what I thought was a GREAT deal. $23 included shipping.
I got it in the mail and it has the nut section but it's missing the collar that would have attached to the moving section of the leg vise.

It has a very shallow groove around the wood screw near the head that I'm guessing it used to attach to but it doesn't seem deep enough to provide grip while still allowing it to turn.

So for my question.
Is this shallow groove where I should put the collar, if so, should i make the groove deeper to provide a more secure grip on the collar?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/--xGm3Wx9EDQ/UC2ZGMA0b3I/AAAAAAAAEo4/AFdrshg1yc4/s800/photo.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-gqiyL6d6lQw/UC2ZMUhwNTI/AAAAAAAAEpA/atuf215BGoc/s640/photo.JPG
Thanks,
Mike

Keith Miguel
08-16-2012, 9:17 PM
Yes that is the groove where the garter (collar) would sit to engage the screw and yes it looks like it should be deeper. I had a screw with no groove and I turned the groove on a lathe. You could try this or you could saw and chisel your groove deeper.

Mike Olson
08-16-2012, 10:03 PM
ok, thanks

I'll try a saw and chisels first as my lathe is in pieces and I don't really have anywhere to set it up right now.

Mike

James Taglienti
08-16-2012, 11:36 PM
Some vises had a cast iron garter and could get away with such a shallow groove.

george wilson
08-17-2012, 9:10 AM
The wood near the groove has worn away. Groove needs to be deeper,but don't make it deeper than the depth of the thread or it will be too weak. You could make a garter out of the hardest wood you can find. Metal would be better if possible.

Jim Koepke
08-17-2012, 12:34 PM
My recollection is the garter pulls the moving jaw of the vise when opening. It isn't the pressing force when closing the vise.

jtk

Zach Dillinger
08-17-2012, 12:38 PM
Jim's right, you don't need a garter. Many historical vices that I've seen / read about didn't have one, you just have to pull the chop / jaw back. Doesn't seem like a big deal.