PDA

View Full Version : Ambrosia Maple logs...

ROBERT ELLIS
08-16-2012, 8:32 PM
239282239283My neighbor teased me about 6 weeks ago...he caught me loading my truck for arts/crafts festival and asked me if I would be interested in a Ambrosia Maple tree he had just logged. The second picture was the cutoff from the end of the log he was trying to sell me. As you can see it will probably be very streaked. Obviously I was interested so he let me take the cutoff to the show (I now use it at festivals as a conversation starter). I sometimes get more interest in the end cutoff than I do in my products! Anyway, I was originally just buying the first log but he kept finding more in the patch of woods he's logging, so finally he wound up with 981 feet total. The picture of the logs on the truck don't really show it but he said every log on the truck is just as streaked as the original.

The log yard where he took them my daughter's boyfriend (?) owns a woodmizer and will be sawing them for me.

From here on out it's going to be a love hate relationship. I can't wait to use them someday, in the meantime I'm dreading handling all the lumber, stickering, literally sweeping off each board (removing sawdust) to keep the mold down. If I can remember I'll try to take a few pics of the boards...

Thanks for reading,

Robert

Matt Day
08-16-2012, 9:35 PM
:eek: Wow, now that is a GLOAT! Wish you were close to me and I'd help you out - in exchange for material of course! :)

Perry Holbrook
08-17-2012, 5:39 AM
Hey Robert, hope things are going good for you. Care to share what the logs cost? I've had my eye on a couple of similar logs at a local sawmill.

Perry

Danny Hamsley
08-17-2012, 7:20 AM
That is awesome! I wish that I had those logs. Sticker the lumber where there is very good air flow around the stack as maple is bad to gray stain (an enzymatic oxidation reaction that occurs with high humidity and stagnant air flow).

I bet the lumber will be beautiful, and I look forward to seeing some pics.

Jim Becker
08-17-2012, 9:22 PM
All that work and waiting is going to be absolutely worth it! Wow... nice stuff!

George Gyulatyan
08-18-2012, 5:46 AM
Ok, so... uhm... I am jealous!

Gary Max
08-18-2012, 6:38 AM
Dang Robert----------- sure could of used one of those logs to turn a few bowls from. Nice gloat

Scott T Smith
08-18-2012, 6:55 AM
That is awesome! I wish that I had those logs. Sticker the lumber where there is very good air flow around the stack as maple is bad to gray stain (an enzymatic oxidation reaction that occurs with high humidity and stagnant air flow).

I bet the lumber will be beautiful, and I look forward to seeing some pics.

+1. I would also advise getting some end sealer onto the ends of those logs ASAP.

Bill White
08-18-2012, 2:18 PM
Oh you dog! How can you live with yourself? All the old moldy wood, and you're gonna try to save it?
Can I have some. I'll buy your dinner if you'll deliver. :)
Bill