PDA

View Full Version : Water Heater - replacing elements & thermostat

Belinda Barfield
08-16-2012, 8:07 PM
So, I woke up this morning to no hot water. Got up at 4:30 a.m., at work at 6:00, home at 7:30 p.m. During lunch I picked up new elements, an element wrench (who knew such a thing existed) and thermostats (just in case). I think I'm mentally too exhausted to tackle replacing them tonight, and I forgot to pick up a hose for draining the tank. Fortunately, I have a shower at work. Anything special I need to know - other than the obvious to flip the breaker, shop vac out the crud in the tank, and turn on the hot water faucet while the tank refills? Should I start with elements, or thermostats? Yesterday I noticed the water wasn't as hot as normal, so I'm guessing elements are the problem. I thought the SO was going to take care of this, but apparently I'm on my own on this one. :eek: Add to the list of things I don't like to do . . . along with sheetrock work and hanging wall paper.

mickey cassiba
08-16-2012, 9:13 PM
You've got it under control...I'd suggest flushing the tank after you suck out the crud...them little bits do mess withe the plumbing...damhik

ray hampton
08-16-2012, 9:17 PM
do your water heater have a two temperature range , I set my heater to high [150 degree ] VERY HOT WATER ] A VERY BAD IDEA WHEN CHILDREN USE YOUR WATER, draining the water take more time than pulling the heater element, do not forget your C B radio breaker , breaker

Curt Harms
08-17-2012, 7:34 AM
Does anyone change their anode periodically? It's just a rod or bar of metal, sometimes segmented. Often a hex plug on the top with no apparent function. This can be done without draining the tank, just shut the water off and drain a couple gallons out. I've heard it helps preserve the liner and get a few more years before springing a leak. Would it help with the heating elements too?

Belinda Barfield
08-17-2012, 9:19 AM
Well, folks, never put off until tomorrow . . .

Get to work this morning at 5:45, turn on the shower and lo and behold - no hot water! At least I was awake and alert when I got through. This is just getting comical. We've been expanding the shop and I'm wondering if the electricians "borrowed" a breaker or something. Checked the break box and nothing was tripped. The water heater is tankless so lack of power is the only reason I could think of for it not working. Dang it, if I can't get to the water heater tonight I'm going to a hotel. Maybe I'll treat myself to a "I've been a good girl" present and stay here http://www.bohemianhotelsavannah.com/. :)

Belinda Barfield
08-17-2012, 11:12 AM
Well, the mystery is solved. I spoke to the electricians who were here yesterday and today wiring up for our new dust collector. Apparently, they didn't get quite finished but they had already moved the water heater to a new sub panel and the breaker was off. The new breaker is now labeled for me in big letters! :D

Stephen Tashiro
08-17-2012, 11:24 AM
Should the top and bottom heater elements be set to different temperatures? (Does hot water rise or fall? If it rises, I'd think the top element would be dealing with hotter water.)

Stephen Tashiro
08-17-2012, 11:33 AM
Does anyone change their anode periodically? It's just a rod or bar of metal, sometimes segmented. Often a hex plug on the top with no apparent function.

I've heard of such anodes, but no water heater I've owned had one. Local hot water can develop a sulfurous smell and one of the remedies is said (in local newspaper articles) to be changing the type of anode in the water heater or removing the anode completely.

On one episode of "This Old House", it was mentioned that the most common common leak in water heaters was at a connection on the top of the tank. The results of such a leak give the impression that water is leaking out the bottom of the water heater.

David Weaver
08-17-2012, 12:24 PM
One of my old ones had a replaceable anode. IIRC, I changed that but never the element. I'm on gas now, the last of the legal no-fan heaters, so no more electric water heaters. It'll be a sad day when I have to go to a new fan forced gas heater, because we lose power fairly often and it's nice to have town water that works regardless of the power situation.

Anyway, yes on the anode. I'd check to see if there is one, and if there was, I'd replace that at the same time to prolong the life of the element.

TODD RAYMER
08-17-2012, 12:39 PM
I switch my electric heater to gas. No more changing element. Our power company had a deal where they gave you $150.00 to switch from electric to gas. Could not pass that deal up since the water heater was 10 years old.

Belinda Barfield
08-17-2012, 4:00 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I'd LOVE to go gas, but it isn't available at my condo. Gas logs, gas stove, gas heat, and gas water heater would be wonderful.

Randy Henry
08-17-2012, 4:15 PM
I would suggest putting a 220a timer on your electric water heater. I did, and got 2 sets of "trips" for it. I have the hot water heater come on at 5am and shut off at 8am, then come back on at 4pm and shut off at 10pm. Any BORG will have the timer, but I got mine at a local electrical supply house, as they seem to have better quality items, and the extra timer trips.

ray hampton
08-17-2012, 5:47 PM
Well, folks, never put off until tomorrow . . .

Get to work this morning at 5:45, turn on the shower and lo and behold - no hot water! At least I was awake and alert when I got through. This is just getting comical. We've been expanding the shop and I'm wondering if the electricians "borrowed" a breaker or something. Checked the break box and nothing was tripped. The water heater is tankless so lack of power is the only reason I could think of for it not working. Dang it, if I can't get to the water heater tonight I'm going to a hotel. Maybe I'll treat myself to a "I've been a good girl" present and stay here http://www.bohemianhotelsavannah.com/. :)

NICE HOTEL but may I recommended the Hampton Inn the next time [ just kidding ]

Belinda Barfield
08-18-2012, 11:42 AM
NICE HOTEL but may I recommended the Hampton Inn the next time [ just kidding ]

I'm usually a Hampton Inn gal . . . I'm too cheap to pay for a stay at the Bohemian unless it's a really special occasion.

ray hampton
08-18-2012, 12:11 PM
I'm usually a Hampton Inn gal . . . I'm too cheap to pay for a stay at the Bohemian unless it's a really special occasion.

is the Bohemian a local hotel or a chain of hotels

Keith Westfall
08-19-2012, 2:09 AM
Belinda,

Do you have NO hot water, or just a little hot water? We had the top pipe (think it is the cold one) break off inside the tank, (think it just screws in the top of the tank) and then the cold water just goes in the top and out the top, rather than being forced to the bottom where it then forced the hot water out the top. It acts like you have no hot water...

That was years ago, and the advice was from a plumber friend at the time.

Belinda Barfield
08-19-2012, 7:21 AM
is the Bohemian a local hotel or a chain of hotels

Sort of a chain, and sort of not. http://www.kesslercollection.com/hotels_resorts/hotels.asp Mr. Kessler builds some beautiful places. If you scroll down the page you'll see the Mansion on Forsyth. My company did a lot of the stonework in it.

Belinda,

Do you have NO hot water, or just a little hot water? We had the top pipe (think it is the cold one) break off inside the tank, (think it just screws in the top of the tank) and then the cold water just goes in the top and out the top, rather than being forced to the bottom where it then forced the hot water out the top. It acts like you have no hot water...

That was years ago, and the advice was from a plumber friend at the time.

I had no hot water.

Update, the SO insisted that I was NOT to touch the water heater. He "fixed" it Saturday morning but wired the new thermostat incorrectly. His brother stopped by late yesterday afternoon and wired it correctly for me. So, hot water, Yay! Single element/single thermostat. Around 35 bucks for parts, and 1000 in frustration. :D