PDA

View Full Version : Monster Lathe Tool Rest Part 1

David DeCristoforo
08-16-2012, 6:51 PM
I got this far on the tool rest:

No welding yet... just cutting and grinding and drilling. I'm meeting with the welder guy this evening. The plan is:

Weld 1/8" gusset plates in between the horizontal bars to eliminate any racking possibility. Weld a mounting plate to the short end bars and the post to the long ones. Also weld some 3/8" all thread to the top flange nuts that I can use to mount turned wood handles for the locking levers.

Onward....

Kathy Marshall
08-16-2012, 11:25 PM
I can't picture how that will work, but it's exciting that you're making progress daily!

Rick Markham
08-17-2012, 2:58 AM
Looks good so far! I bet your anxious

Paul Singer
08-17-2012, 7:03 AM
I can't figure that tool rest out either. This is like following a really good soap opera waiting for the next installment. I am sure it will turn out great.

John Nesmith
08-17-2012, 8:00 AM
Is that going to be for outboard turning?

Sid Matheny
08-17-2012, 1:12 PM
I'm with Kathy and Paul that I don't see how it will work but guess DD has his plan to make it work. Look forward to seeing it all together and making shavings but bet David want to see them more.

Sid

David DeCristoforo
08-17-2012, 1:25 PM
This is the basic plan for the tool rest.

http://www.daviddecristoforo.com/Misc/tool_rest.pdf

I'm pretty close to the original design so far but with some "on the fly" mods.
I should have this thing running within the week... Moving it into the "shop" tomorrow.

Kathy Marshall
08-17-2012, 3:03 PM
Ok now it makes sense. Looks like a neat design allowing for access to all sides of a piece.

Doug Herzberg
08-17-2012, 10:05 PM
David, don't know if you plan for the foot to be adjustable, but I'd put in a threaded rod there, too, so it can adjust to uneven floors. You also might want some lateral support out there, instead of a single post.

Good luck.

David DeCristoforo
08-17-2012, 10:27 PM
"...You...might want some lateral support..."

The open areas will be filled with 1/8" steel gussets, essentially forming tall "I" beams. That should provide sufficient racking resistance. Also, there will be locking levers at the "hinge" points. Hopefully this will be enough to resist any lateral movement. If not, I'll still have my drawing board...

Rick Markham
08-17-2012, 11:32 PM
The only concern I would have would be to make the foot adjustable. It's just my luck that if I didn't make it adjustable I would find all the low spots in my floor with it, all of which would likely be in the most useful places for turning. Otherwise, with the added lateral bracing it looks like a super design to me. It also looks as if it's shaping up as planned, which is a whole other challenge entirely :D

John Nesmith
08-20-2012, 9:11 PM
I guess it will remain a mystery.

David DeCristoforo
08-20-2012, 11:02 PM
"I guess it will remain a mystery."

Sorry… I missed your question. Since you are already put out, I will refrain from any "wise aleck" answers. Yes, it's set up for "outboard" turning. I plan to use this strictly for bowls. In fact, I am abandoning Mark's bed setup completely. I have "repurposed" part of the steel bed into a large brace. If I ever do add a bed it will be a "stubby" style bed, no more than 20 - 24" long.

John Nesmith
08-21-2012, 3:27 PM
"I guess it will remain a mystery."

Sorry… I missed your question. Since you are already put out, I will refrain from any "wise aleck" answers. Yes, it's set up for "outboard" turning. I plan to use this strictly for bowls. In fact, I am abandoning Mark's bed setup completely. I have "repurposed" part of the steel bed into a large brace. If I ever do add a bed it will be a "stubby" style bed, no more than 20 - 24" long.

Thanks David. Sorry for wise crackin'. I think there must be a back story to this build-a-long that I missed. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes from here.

Thanks again.