PDA

View Full Version : face shield recommendations

Dick Holt
08-16-2012, 4:25 PM
Can you guys recommend a decent face shield? I am not looking for one of the $400 (at least right now). I only have a mini-lathe and will be doing spindle work for furniture and maybe some small bowls and pens. Thanks.

Dick

Tim Rinehart
08-16-2012, 4:28 PM
here's what I use...couldn't be more pleased. Good price too.
http://www.amazon.com/Uvex-S8510-Polycarbonate-Anti-Fog-Hardcoat/dp/B001VY3ACE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345148832&sr=8-1&keywords=bionic+shield

Scott Hackler
08-16-2012, 4:29 PM
The Bionic is a good faceshield. Doesn't have air filters and such, it's just a face shield, but its comfortable and impact rated and reasonable on the wallet.

Scott Hackler
08-16-2012, 4:30 PM
lol, Tim is a faster typer!

John Coloccia
08-16-2012, 4:30 PM
I have an Airshield pro, but I also have the one Tim pointed out. I wear the bionic shield when I'm not making a lot of dust because it's more comfortable.

Tim Rinehart
08-16-2012, 4:48 PM
The Bionic is a good faceshield. Doesn't have air filters and such, it's just a face shield, but its comfortable and impact rated and reasonable on the wallet.
One other thing I've found nice about this faceshield, is that it works quite well with the 3M 7500 series respirator with P100 filters. This is a moderately comfortable mask, and if you don't have a beard, it will keep out not just dust but other harmful fumes. I don't wear it all the time, but when I do, I can even wear it under the Bionic shield. Good pairing IMO.
Here's link for the 7500 series respirator... http://www.amazon.com/3M-Series-Reusable-Facepiece-Model/dp/B000Z53WKU/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1345149924&sr=1-3&keywords=3m+respirator+7500

Steve Schlumpf
08-16-2012, 6:00 PM
Tim - I have one of the Bionic Faceshields... works great but I found it a lot cheaper here: http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/uvex-bionic-face-shield.html

Alan Zenreich
08-16-2012, 6:09 PM
Steve,

The one on Amazon is the model 8510 which has an anti-fog hard coated shield.
The one in the EnviroSafety link is the model 8500 which has the standard uncoated shield.

The last page of this Uvex document (http://www.uvex.us/uploadedFiles/ProductConfiguration/ProductLiterature/Uvex_Bionic_DS_3pg.pdf) lists the differences in the models

Kyle Iwamoto
08-16-2012, 6:36 PM
+3 or 4 on the Bionic. It works well with a 3m half face respirator. I went through 3 or 4 of those cheapo shields from the BORG before getting the Bionic.

As a side issue, remember to also wear safety glasses. Chips can bounce off your smock and hit your eyes. Luckily, by then most of the energy was done from the chip, but it still hurt pretty good.

Gary Max
08-16-2012, 9:22 PM
Tim - I have one of the Bionic Faceshields... works great but I found it a lot cheaper here: http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/uvex-bionic-face-shield.html

Thanks Steve-------- that just cost me $53.00----- remember having SWMBO standing to close can cost money and of course she wanted one also.:D
Heck we will just call it early Christmas shopping

John King
08-16-2012, 9:37 PM
Uvex faceshield at http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/Uvex-Bionic-Face-Shield.html. Lowest price on the web. - John

Alan Zenreich
08-16-2012, 9:47 PM
Just keep in mind the differences in the Uvex shields... the lower priced model does not have the hard coated anti-fog screen.
For many of us, the anti-fog model was worth the few extra dollars.

John King
08-16-2012, 10:10 PM
Just keep in mind the differences in the Uvex shields... the lower priced model does not have the hard coated anti-fog screen.
For many of us, the anti-fog model was worth the few extra dollars.

A "few extra dollars." Faceshield with anti-fog lens is double the price of faceshield with standard lens ($43.16 vs $21.18). The only time I ever needed anything anti-fog was for goggles while snow skiing in Colorado. Never had a problem with fog in my shop/studio. Buy the standard lens. If you have trouble with fog, purchase anti-fog lens ($17.25). Cheaper path than purchase of faceshield with anti-fog lens. - John

Gary Max
08-16-2012, 10:44 PM
We got a bottle of glass cleaner that brags about doing the same thing.

Alan Zenreich
08-16-2012, 11:27 PM
John,

The Amazon link listed above had the anti-fog version for $33.87 (not $43).

All I was trying to point out is that the two web sites mentioned were not selling the same product for very different prices... they are two different products.
One site is not a bargain price of the more expensive item, but it's certainly a good price for the product.

All of the Uvex variations are fine products. I have two of the AF versions of the shields that my wife and I use on occasion or give to guests (we normally use 3M PAPR units).

Luke Pighetti
08-16-2012, 11:36 PM
I have never used the Bionic.

That said, I have the 3m 90028. It's about $13 with free shipping (prime) from Amazon. Works great, has a lot of coverage, and fits with my 3m 3000 series half mask respirator. My only complaint is the headgear is not that good. I really wish I could slap my Jackson welding mask headgear on there. What a dream that thing really is.

Dick Holt
08-17-2012, 8:35 AM
Thanks for the help. You guys are the best.

Dick

Robert Henrickson
08-17-2012, 9:13 AM
In discussing price, remember that shipping costs can make some rather dramatic changes in the 'price' -- shipping cost can vary widely among vendors. Final cost can become considerably higher than the 'price',

Jim Underwood
08-17-2012, 9:31 AM
I have never used the Bionic.

That said, I have the 3m 90028. It's about $13 with free shipping (prime) from Amazon. Works great, has a lot of coverage, and fits with my 3m 3000 series half mask respirator. My only complaint is the headgear is not that good. I really wish I could slap my Jackson welding mask headgear on there. What a dream that thing really is.

I've broke two of those 3M 90028 shields before I finally bought the UVEX. I can't say much good about that 3M shield except it's inexpensive and will save you from injury- but it flops down in your eyes when you need it to stay up, and the headstrap will break after about a years use (if you only use it a couple weekends a month).

The UVEX is a MUCH better shield in my opinion. Fully adjustable (and I mean FULLY) with positive stops. It's very comfortable and has a good safety rating. There's no distortion in the lens. And there's plenty of room under it for a respirator. And your glasses. And your face. And if there's not, you can adjust that. (Unlike the Trend which also doesn't have a good positive stop system.)

Luke Pighetti
08-17-2012, 9:35 AM
Actually, here is my official suggestion.. Go to a local Welding supply place and ask them for a Jackson faceshield with the "370" headgear. They should know exactly what you are talking about, since it was a huge deal when it came out. This is bar none the most comfortable headgear every produced and as I recall, the price is right. I wish I had gone to my welding shop before doing the amazon thing. This was designed for overtime pipe welders, and these guys know how to tear apart some gear.

Here's what you are looking for

Michael Mills
08-17-2012, 9:58 AM
An important point, the most important to me, is the rating.
Look for the + rating; as in Z87.1 or Z87.1+
The standard, which most places sell, has to withstand a 1" ball dropped from a height of 50 inches.
The + rating has a heavier drop test and must also withstand a 1/4" steel ball projected at 100+ miles per hour.
The + rating seems to be about $20 more, well worth it in my opinion. If the + is not embossed in the shield during manufacture it is not + rated (even if the seller adds the word plus in their ad, it is not +; by law the + sign must be used)

Note: At one time Amazon offered the Bionic in standard and the heigher + ratings, two different listings and prices.

John King
08-17-2012, 3:13 PM
John,

The Amazon link listed above had the anti-fog version for $33.87 (not $43).

All I was trying to point out is that the two web sites mentioned were not selling the same product for very different prices... they are two different products.
One site is not a bargain price of the more expensive item, but it's certainly a good price for the product.

All of the Uvex variations are fine products. I have two of the AF versions of the shields that my wife and I use on occasion or give to guests (we normally use 3M PAPR units).

Alan - My bad. You are correct. Amazon pricing for Uvex with anti-fog lens is lower than Enviro. So, if you want anti-fog lens, Amazon is the place to go. If you want standard lens, Enviro is the place to go. Thanks for calling attention to my error. - John