PDA

View Full Version : The "Holy Light" Grizzly cult

Malcolm Timbers
05-02-2003, 1:32 PM
I just brought back a 6" x 48" sander from Grizzly and set it up yesterday. It worked better than expected. However, after I took off the belt that came with the machine and tried to put a new belt from Grizzly on, I could not tighten it up because it was a tight fit getting on to begin with but not tight enough to sand with.

So I tried to readjust the belt tensioner. No luck it was at the end of its travel inwards. So I did a Red Green solution and grabbed a bungie cord and put in on the tensioning handle and hooked the other end around the table. It worked beautifully. So I took a gander at the belt to see where it was made. Anybody ever hear of the "Holy Light" cult because that is the trade mark on the belt?

Dave Arbuckle
05-02-2003, 2:54 PM
On my Jet tools where I've noticed, "Elephant" brand belts were used. "Holy Light" belts could hardly be of much poorer quality. ;)

They all work very well, in my experience, if you carry them to a quality auto parts store and say to the counterman, "Please sell me a high quality belt the size of this one." Gates or Goodyear, good stuff.

Dave :)

Malcolm Timbers
05-02-2003, 10:22 PM
no no no.

I changed the sanding belt to a finer grit but it was slightly smaller than the one that came with the sander although both are 6" x 48" belts.:confused:

Anyway, I am going to order some good belts from Klingspor's and if they don't fit I will have to take a file to the adjusting mechanism.

Dave Arbuckle
05-02-2003, 11:35 PM
Hehehe. Oh, you mean the "BELT", I was thinking of the "BELT".

A gazillion words in English, and one machine has to have two parts with the same dang name...

Dave
LOL

David Rose
05-03-2003, 12:17 AM

Everette Harmon
05-03-2003, 6:17 AM
Malcom, I bought a Grizzly 6x48 sander about six months ago. I was forwarned by someone to forget their sanding belts. I was told to take the one that came with it off and get rid if it. I did and put one on that I got from a local vendor and it has worked great. No Problems.
Everette

Bob Wilkerson
05-03-2003, 10:49 AM
I've never heeard of Holy Light as a manufacturer but I do have an industrial shaper made by a company called Holy Wood. Love the name....

Bob