PDA

View Full Version : Mini rant....customer service

John Coloccia
08-16-2012, 3:23 PM
So today has been my day to have truly stellar examples of bad customer service...and two more companies that lost my business for good.

First was a smaller woodworking supplier that most of us know, who shall remain nameless. I called up to buy a couple of Auriou rasps. I explained what I was doing, and that I need a recommendation. I swear, he couldn't get me off the phone fast enough. He kept saying things like, "You should try maybe a this or a that...or a this....a long one is what you want". Hmmm....how long....what grain? Couldn't get a straight answer. Didn't even get to talking about the second one I wanted. Finally I tried to say, "Look, I'm ready to place an order for two rasps, not just talk about rasps, so we need to nail down exactly what I should get so I can actually order it".

I got to, "Look, I'm ready to place an order f..."

him: "Let me get you to someone that can take your order"
me: "But can we..."
him: "Let me get you to someone that can take your order"
me: "But I'd lik....."
him: "I'll transfer you to someone that can take your order"
me: "Fine"

And I hung up.

10 minutes later I get a call back from my insurance broker. I've been asking about a business policy for a week or two now. She sent me a rider to look over for my homeowners. I read through it and it's greek. I contacted her again and asked her to simply tell me in plain english if it covers what we had talked about. I fell into a black hole. She calls back today to say that I have to get some other policy, but that there's a questionnaire coming and we should talk before filling it out, but she'll be away on vacation next week. Huh? What about coverages? What about cost? Will it suit my needs? Oh, she doesn't know. Someone else handles that. Uh huh. Well why should I call her back, then? Shouldn't I talk to the other one instead? Oh yeah, that's a good idea. She can put me through to her voicemail. Finally I told her, "Seriously, after a week or two I was kind of expecting an answer or a call back from someone that can give me an answer." You would think she would have talked with her colleague, explained the situation and something would be happening. I guess she wants me to start all over again. I'm happy to...just not with them, and the new broker can have my homeowners and auto insurance as well.

What the heck is up with these guys?

Chuck Wintle
08-16-2012, 3:59 PM
customer service is such a hit or miss deal for most companies....if they only knew they ill will and lost sales because of some bored and disinterested individual on the phone. I say stick to companies that earn and maintain and individuals because they try harder.

Richard Wolf
08-16-2012, 4:10 PM
About the insurance thing, oh I better not start, last time I got some people pissed off at me.

John Coloccia
08-16-2012, 4:29 PM
What's baffling is in both cases I'm literally going to them saying, "I'm ready to buy something...just tell me what", and in both cases they're blowing me off and making it so much more difficult than it needs to be. I just don't understand. If I had customers like me day in and day out, I'd be a very happy and wealthy man.

David Weaver
08-16-2012, 5:00 PM
I'd imagine the insurer's issue is probably internal policy (to send you a questionnaire to find out what's best for you) as well as the issue of having gobs of different policies for different needs.

A confident, quick witted, and insightful salesperson goes a long way. I don't know how many of those there are, they probably are somewhere else where they can make more money.

The WW supply thing .. who knows, that shouldn't be an experience with any supplier who is selling professional grade tools.

Jim Matthews
08-16-2012, 5:42 PM
A confident, quick witted, and insightful salesperson goes a long way.

Typically into their own business. In services, what you're selling is the capability of the provider to satisfy you with your order.
Smart people figure out who's essential to such an enterprise and either get a bigger slice from the employer or branch out on their own.

In the 1990's I repaired and prepared portable medical devices for a rental company. The sales staff made all the profit, without any notion of what I did, or the regulatory requirements.
When I made mention of the fact that they were, in fact, selling my labor and skimming off the profits they offered me a "raise" by delivering products oncall, after hours.
This, at a lower rate of pay. You can imagine how long competent people stay in such positions.

There seems to be a "sweet spot" for all businesses - too small and they're unprofitable, too large and they're unresponsive.
Insurance seems one of those vapor-ware models where a little competence at the front desk means sales.

It's not like they ever intend to pay you for a claim, or anything like that...
the least they can do is graciously separate you from your cash.

Chuck Wintle
08-16-2012, 7:03 PM
What's baffling is in both cases I'm literally going to them saying, "I'm ready to buy something...just tell me what", and in both cases they're blowing me off and making it so much more difficult than it needs to be. I just don't understand. If I had customers like me day in and day out, I'd be a very happy and wealthy man. you need to go to the head guy and lodge a complaint...people like the one you encountered should be shown the door IMO.

Belinda Barfield
08-16-2012, 8:27 PM
Maybe it's a planet alignment thing. Without going into the details, I needed a part today for a Delta table saw. No overnight shipping available. . . part will ship in 5 to 7 days.

Made a phone call. I have a saw tagged for me with a local dealer, a Jet, and I'll pick it up tomorrow. Delta becomes the back up. I don't have time to wait for 5 to 7 days. Seriously? $70,000 worth of work hinged on a $17.64 dollar part, and I will pay for the overnight.

Matt Meiser
08-16-2012, 8:49 PM
Wait, there was actually a Delta part that could be shipped period?

John Coloccia
08-16-2012, 10:39 PM
Wait, there was actually a Delta part that could be shipped period?

My first thought too. I heard they're getting better, though. I get the distinct impression that they were left in rough shape after they were sold....maybe on purpose. I think they're getting it together, though.

Jim Falsetti
08-17-2012, 6:23 PM
Re the Delta parts.I have a Delta drum sander and my repair guy can not get the necessary parts. We have been waiting all summer. Maybe Delta is out of business - anyone else have a similar experience?

John, regarding the rasps, I emailed directly to Auriou and got a rapid response. You might want to go that route.

Jim

Jim Koepke
08-17-2012, 7:36 PM
I called up to buy a couple of Auriou rasps. I explained what I was doing, and that I need a recommendation.

This sounds like you reached someone who may not have known much about Auriou, Liogier or other hand made/premium rasps. There idea of wood working may be limited to cutting plywood and nailing it together.

You would likely get better information from people hear on SMC doing similar work. I have two Auriou rasps, 13 & 15 grain. I would purchase the same ones again, but would also like to purchase some others.

As to insurance, most of the time my insurance questions do not go directly to my agent. They go to the receptionist who is actually very friendly and helpful. She is a liaison between the public and the agents. When needed, we schedule a meeting with the agent.

It isn't the major company that carries your policy as much as the local office that provides you with the service.

At least they didn't lie to you and say, "don't worry, it is all taken care of." only to find out when needed, "oh, your policy doesn't cover that."

if your needs are different compared to a "standard" business policy, then you may want to submit your needs on paper and have the agent show you where each need is met in the policy. This may take some of yours and their time.

jtk

jtk