PDA

View Full Version : Work Bench Top Size? / Butcher Block

richard poitras
08-16-2012, 2:31 PM
I was just wondering what is the most common or most popular size work bench top with dog holes and vices that everyone is using or would recommend. I have been knocking around the idea of putting a bench together and not sure what is the most useful size. Also how useful are center trays or trays on one length?
Thanks Richard

Ryan Baker
08-16-2012, 8:15 PM
I don't know about most common or popular. My current bench is 30" X 60", which is a good size for me. I am not a fan of trays and did not put any on this bench. They just tend to accumulate stuff, and take away from working space.

Generally, I would say to make the biggest bench you have space for. I've never heard anyone complain that their bench was too big. If you can walk around the bench, it can be quite wide (deep). If it is against a wall, you probably don't want it more than about 24-30" or it will be hard to reach things on the wall. Length is often longer is better. But a lot of that depends on the type of projects you will be working on. If you work on small projects, a smaller, more specialized bench may work better.

Jacob Nothstine
08-17-2012, 9:45 AM
I'm building a new work bench going to make it 24" deep and 96" long. No tray for me it will just collect clutter.

Get a copy of "The Workbench Design Book by Christopher Schwarz it's a great book about building a work bench. He talk about size and height in the book.

Jim Koepke
08-17-2012, 12:54 PM
My current bench doesn't have a tray. I am considering a tray on my next bench. My bench will not be near a wall. Often my work involves changing tools. Stopping to put away a tool, grabbing the next tool then putting it back just to again grab the tool that was being used previously seems like a waste of time to me.

The tray/no tray depends on one's method of work more than anything else. If one tends to do one operation at a time before moving on to the next, then a tray may be more of a temptation to be sloppy than an aid. If one tends to like to have a few small tools, pencils and ruler close at hand, a tray may be a convenient way to keep them from getting knocked off the table. Just remember to include a removable panel to be able to sweep the shavings and dust out when needed.

Often the top of my bench has seemed too small. Mostly when trying to assemble something. I did make a table the same height to scoot up to the bench. That doesn't work as well as a large bench top.

jtk

richard poitras
08-17-2012, 5:44 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I think if I do any kind of tray it will be one that locks on and off and that way I can put it on and off as needed.
Richard

Jim Koepke
08-17-2012, 7:10 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I think if I do any kind of tray it will be one that locks on and off and that way I can put it on and off as needed.
Richard

My thought has been for a tray in the body of the top. With a rim around the inside it would facilitate using small tills or covering the tray as needed.

jtk

Ken Tucker
08-17-2012, 8:37 PM
I put my trays in the center all removable so i can use for clamping , turn then bottom's up for solid top. used plans off FWW mag. PS MADE 3 TRAYS

Derek Cohen
08-18-2012, 1:06 AM
Tool tray?

There are disadvantages of one attached to a bench, so I attached mine to a wall ..

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Bench%20build/Tool%20Tray/Accessories6.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Bench%20build/Tool%20Tray/Accessories2.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Bench%20build/Tool%20Tray/Accessories5.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

richard poitras
08-18-2012, 5:04 PM
Thanks for all the help on sizing I have decided on getting a 32’’x 72’’x 2.5’’top.
There’s a guy on another forum that is selling custom made butcher block tops and I am ordering a 32’’x 72’’x 2.5’’top but I am not sure if I want hard maple or hickory? Both woods are the same price of $150.00 for a top. From a hardness factor the hard maple is rated at 1450 and the hickory is rated at 1820. Which wood do you think would be the best wood for a workbench top?
I just posted this over in the general category as well with a poll attached to it if you would rather pick over there.
Thanks Richard

David Weaver
08-18-2012, 5:49 PM
I would get the maple, it should be easier to plane and a little brighter.

I have a 6 foot bench right now, but the next one will be 8 feet so I can do long moulding on it.

John W Johnson
08-19-2012, 4:46 PM
I built a Roubo type bench last year. I had read you could not build one too long, but too wide was a problem. I built two 4" x 11" x 98" slabs and connected them with cross braces. There is a removable planing stop down the middle. So the finished product is about 24" x 98". I have been very happy with the size after I got it flattened. It is plenty wide for any assembly, and I hardly use the back half of the bench for anything but assemblies. JMO but I would not want mine any wider than it is. If I had a do over I'd have made it an inch or two higher than 32", and would have used something harder for the top than the old pine beams I got for free.

Jim Galvin
08-22-2012, 8:31 AM
$150 for a 32"X72"X2 1/2" maple top thats a great price do you have his contact information?