PDA

View Full Version : Trotec questions from a potential new buyer

Ernie Martinez
08-16-2012, 9:54 AM
Sorry to post these here but the sales person I'm dealing with is either incapable or unwilling to answer these questions.

All questions refer to the Speedy 100 CO2.

1. How much does it cost to upgrade from a 30 watt to a 50 watt in the field?
2. How much is the Air Assit Option, their website states that its 2 options, the plumbing and the pump? Ballpark is fine.
3. How much is the SMC member discount worth?
4. What kind of trade in value can one expect within 18 months on machine if upgrading to a Speedy 300?

Their Website and brochure are pretty poor and really weak on specs, and the sales guy doesn't help matters much. The website states a speed performance upgrade as an option, but I read somewhere on this forum that that isn' the case in the US. Can someone clarify this for me. Seems like Trotec likes to nickel and dime you, most things that are standard on an Epilog like air assist and cutting table etc. I shouldn't have to pay more to make the machine operate at it's maximum. I've read good things about the machine here, but the sales process is leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

Ernie

Scott Shepherd
08-16-2012, 10:15 AM
Their Website and brochure are pretty poor and really weak on specs, and the sales guy doesn't help matters much. The website states a speed performance upgrade as an option, but I read somewhere on this forum that that isn' the case in the US. Can someone clarify this for me. Seems like Trotec likes to nickel and dime you, most things that are standard on an Epilog like air assist and cutting table etc. I shouldn't have to pay more to make the machine operate at it's maximum. I've read good things about the machine here, but the sales process is leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

Ernie

I have no idea about the pricing and trade in values, but I can tell you the options are priced like that because some people don't need them. How else would you do that? One thing to understand is that the two machines you mentioned are very different when it comes to operation. Air assist on the Epilog consists of a little tube that blows air around the cut. Not very complicated. Air assist on the trotec consists of a nose cone that blows air directly through the kerf,and air compressor (which is NOT included with the air assist option on the epilog), and the ability to control the air flow through the software.

The trotec also has a programmable z-axis, which is the epilog does not (unless they have changed that). The trotec has job control software that helps you manage jobs, the epilog does not. There is NOTHING wrong with the epilog, but you simply cannot compare the two on price because the features are vastly different.

I'll never own another laser that doesn't have 2 things. Job Control and Programmable Z_Axis.

My needs may be very different for your needs. A Chinese machine might need your needs, while all the advanced features meet our needs. But there is nothing wrong with either machine.

Gary Hair
08-16-2012, 10:26 AM
Sorry to post these here but the sales person I'm dealing with is either incapable or unwilling to answer these questions.

If it's that difficult to buy from them, what do you think they will be like once they have your money???

Mike Null
08-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Gary

I'm surprised you would make a remark like that. You know better. Sales reps are all over the place and nobody has a corner on good ones or bad ones but the Trotec company and their tech support have been superb.

Mike Null
08-16-2012, 11:02 AM
Ernie

I suggested that you pm Keith Outten regarding who to talk to about the discount. The discount varies with the machine and accessories you buy and we do not have that information.

In terms of the operation, Trotec sells the top end Job Control and speed option in the US. Lower featured options are not available here so there is nothing extra for you to pay for in that regard.

A field upgrade can be done but when I looked into it a few years ago I felt it was not a suitable option for me. But investigate that for yourself.

The used market is a moving target largely dependent on whether you can find a willing buyer.

Martin Boekers
08-16-2012, 11:11 AM
You may check on their Rayjet model as they recently had a great discount on either a 60 or 80 watt tube.

I know someone here recently bought one, you may do a search on it.

Gary Hair
08-16-2012, 11:56 AM
Gary

I'm surprised you would make a remark like that. You know better. Sales reps are all over the place and nobody has a corner on good ones or bad ones but the Trotec company and their tech support have been superb.

Look up the definition of "sales representative" - it's their job to "represent" the company and sell its merchandise. I stand by what I said Mike.

Mike Null
08-16-2012, 12:24 PM
In most cases with laser reps they represent other companies as well and they are more often than not independent businessmen. Really good reps are rare and you've been around long enough to know that. With that experience it's hard to hold an otherwise reputable company with a good history of customer service (Epilog, Universal, Trotec) to your standard. Especially the way you stated it.

Scott Shepherd
08-16-2012, 12:42 PM
If it's that difficult to buy from them, what do you think they will be like once they have your money???

First, that's simple to answer- they treat you great.

Second, if my machine is running, why do I need to call service? In many cases, all this "praise for great service" wouldn't be here if the machines just ran. That's why you don't see a high number of posts about Universals or Trotecs. It's not because they sell less lasers, it's because they don't have the same issues as some other machines.

A high number of service incidents means there's less quality somewhere along the line. Nothing to be bragging about, in my opinion.

Martin Boekers
08-16-2012, 1:12 PM
I have only talked with my sales rep a couple times, now Tech Support that's another story.
That's where I want someone that will get me up and going, quickly and that knows what
they are talking about. Epilog has made it all happen, not just on the pieces they sell but helping
me with network issues that popped up.

The first laser was bought in 2005 the second in 2007 and I still get quality service without a cost.

Most here know the 3 main vendors and the bulk of us will recommend any of the three.

Ernie Martinez
08-16-2012, 2:36 PM
I'd like to thank all of you for all your input. This is an invaluable forum. While I appreciate the explanation of differences between the Trotec and Epilog machines, at the end of the day I made my decision based on capabilities, price and support. I was blown away to have gotten a call from the President of Epilog who had read my posts on this forum. He was able to answer any of my questions and get me what I needed within my budget. Also the folks at Jackson and Associates were Johnny on the spot when it came to email replies.

Looks like I'm going to be an Epilog owner.

Thank you all again.

Ernie

Mike Null
08-16-2012, 2:56 PM
Ernie

Congratulations! Now the fun begins. We'll look forward to your visits.

Mark Sipes
08-16-2012, 4:52 PM
Keep us informed as to when your machine arrives and the training you receive. Many on this forum and lurker will be interested on your progress. Epilog is a good seller with many " how do I do this " posters, so the support for your questions will be addressed here with pleasure.

Robert Tepper
08-19-2012, 1:05 AM
I think I might be the person who just purchased the Trotec Rayjet that was mentioned. In the 32 years I have been in the engraving and rubber stamp business, this is by far the most important investment I have made. I have had one problem with the machine and tech support helped me re-install the driver. I have called tech support maybe five times in two months and had my calls promptly returned.

I have the 80 watt machine. I am very satisfied with the machine, tech support and the salesperson, who has made two visits to my factory to check on my progress in learning and has always been there for help.

I am very happy with my investment.

Robert Tepper
Western Engraving/American Art Stamp
Gardena, CA