PDA

View Full Version : Question?

john passek
08-15-2012, 3:42 PM
I need to laser cut thick foam for a 3D sign a customer wants, does anyone have a supplier, or know what kind of foam is safe to laser. I was thinking about the rigid foam insulation 1 inch thick but I suspect it contains PCV or other harmful materials and would probably stink .
Any advice would be appreciated.

Martin Boekers
08-15-2012, 4:09 PM
Are you cutting out shapes or letters, or actually looking for a 3D "Engraved" sign?

Michael Hunter
08-15-2012, 4:42 PM
EPP - Expanded PolyProylene - foam should be safe to laser and more durable than polystyrene foam.
I have come across it in the context of model aircraft, but model shops would be an expensive place to buy it.

You might need to protect the top with application or masking tape to stop the cut edges sagging.

john passek
08-15-2012, 8:36 PM
Hi Martin
I need to cut out letters for a sign.
Thanks for the info Michael.

Joe Pelonio
08-15-2012, 10:13 PM
I have yet to find a foam that will cut well by laser at over about 1/2", it has to be cut really fast or the center melts and it becomes concave. CNC is better for thick foam letters. If they will be painted you might be able to glue up several thinner letters to get the thickness but then the slight angle of the laser cut shows.

AL Ursich
08-15-2012, 10:29 PM
Not a Laser version but PVC Board... (DANGER: DO NOT LASER Cut PVC PLASTIC !!!!)

I cut it with my little CarveWright CNC. IN your case, you could cut HARDBOARD letters with the Laser. Place the Hardboard letter on a PVC Board and trace around it. Remove pattern and Cut the PVC BIGGER than the actual letter with a Band saw or a Saber/jig saw. Re Attach the Hardboard with double stick tape and setup a router table with a bit that has the guide bearing on TOP. Clean up the PVC Letters with the bearing router bit. You could also cut out CORIAN letters this way too.... OR FOAM...:eek:

Sign-makers FOAM is DENSE, EXPENSIVE (Relative) and and can be CNC or Sand Blasted... Many companies will send you a free sample.

Good Luck,

AL

john passek
08-15-2012, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the replies and suggestions, I'll do some more research and see what I can come up with.
I let you know how I make out later.