PDA

View Full Version : Laser Venting

Ernie Martinez
08-15-2012, 1:55 PM
I'm planning my workshop for my upcoming laser purchase and need some advice on venting the laser exhaust. I want to exit through a masonry wall. Laserbits sells a blower which uses a 4" hose. I can't seem to find a suitable 4" masonry thimble that will pass through the wall and has the proper size pipe that I can slip the hose over. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Regards

Ernie

Matt Turner (physics)
08-15-2012, 2:05 PM
Do you need to use a thimble? You aren't venting hot air, so you don't need to use stove pipe hardware. Can you use something like a dryer vent?

Michael Hunter
08-15-2012, 3:15 PM
A fire-proof one would be best - just in case!

Mark Sipes
08-15-2012, 3:17 PM
A dryer Vent won't work? mine is 4"

Gary Hair
08-15-2012, 3:23 PM

That's just a BIT EXTREME. If you have need for a fireproof vent for your laser, you are doing it wrong...

Michael Hunter
08-15-2012, 4:46 PM
That's just a BIT EXTREME. If you have need for a fireproof vent for your laser, you are doing it wrong...

Agreed, but the perceived wisdom is that all exhaust pipework should be metal in case there is a flareup in the machine.

After 8 years, I STILL haven't replaced the spiral PVC duct that was supplied with my laser, so if I get a flareup my wonderful wooden workshop building will be a gonner!

Tony Lenkic
08-15-2012, 6:48 PM
Ernie,

For the exhaust blower and flex hose/blast gate check in here.....

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=dust+collectors

Ernie Martinez
08-15-2012, 8:41 PM
Perfect thanks!

John Frazee
08-16-2012, 9:12 AM
I used 4 inch white sewer pipe to plumb my laser. I ran the pipe straight off the back and elbowed it through the back wall of our shop and hooked it to the "green" dust collector from HF. Using the smooth wall pipe will alow it to flow so much better. I started out with dryer hose and couldn't stand it. It was a waste of money. I used a christmas tree type plugin and mounted the switch to the side of the laser that activates the extention cord. That way it is just a flip of the switch to turn it off or on. Dryer hose will flex around alot when you turn on the blower and it seems to be a little more noisy than the sewer pipe. I posted about this before and I think I added photos. If you search by my name on the forum you may find it and see what I am talking about.

Mike Null
08-16-2012, 9:22 AM
Ernie

It may be worth your while to check out inline blowers. They are a bit more expensive but very efficient and quiet. I've had mine for 15 years and can carry on a telephone conversations while standing next to it. At the time I paid slightly more than $300 for it from WW Grainger. It uses 6" line which I reduced to 4" at the laser.

Jiten Patel
08-16-2012, 11:36 AM
I am in the same process as Ernie - new house - new workshop - triple the space! Cannot wait. I've looked into the in-line fans, and they seem perfect, but due to the work I do, little bits of paper and card get sucked through my blower and congregate outside. Would the in-line fans handle debris going through them?

On a separate note, anyone know how to silence or muffle the sound of air when it leaves a building? Living in the UK neighbours are close - so want to build something the silences/dampens the gushing of the air? Any ideas?

Mike Null
08-16-2012, 11:47 AM
Jit

I can't speak to the bits of paper issue--that may need a screen just outside the laser but the outside sound of my inline blower is negligible. We can be sitting on our deck a few feet away and not hear it. (we may smell something depending on what I'm cutting)

Mark Sipes
08-16-2012, 12:13 PM
The in-line fans are induction so there is no motor noise and the volume of air is that of a dryer being vented.....So the woosh is minimal as for paper debris I would put a webbing bag of sorts at he vent end. any thing in the tube would clog way to fast and constrict the flow. You will also be able to see when the bag was full (lawnmower bag style) . A creative person would design a canister that collects the debris with a water mist or bath of some kind (industrial)

Michael Hunter
08-16-2012, 1:02 PM
My in-line fan handles small bits of paper without any problems.
I clean it out about twice a year and only once found a bit of paper stuck in it, though it sometimes catches bits of PU foam.

When I did my daughter's wedding stationery, the field behind my workshop was white with "rose leaves".

My fan is the type with many curved fins. I suspect that the type with fewer straight fins (as linked in a fairly recent post on exhausts) would be even better at handling debris, but would probably be noisier.

Craig Matheny
08-16-2012, 3:45 PM
Its a masonry wall it is fire proof already

Craig Matheny
08-16-2012, 3:47 PM
A dryer Vent won't work? mine is 4"
Dryer vents are 4" aluminium flex they work fine but damage easily

Michael Hunter
08-16-2012, 6:24 PM
Its a masonry wall it is fire proof already

Only if the wall is solid (no cavity), which he did not specify.

Jiten Patel
08-17-2012, 4:25 AM
We used to have a mesh to stop debris and bits going through, but after a few cuts, it would just get completely covered and stop airflow, meaning i had to stop, brush off the bits and start again hence why we said stuff it, let the outside collect all the bits in an enclosure we built and once every month, we get the vacuum and suck it all up. Our duct is directly underneath the cutting bed as it acts as a vacuum bed too, so all the bits just fall on top of it.

To combat all the drama, and as we are buying an XY laser too to cut acrylic, we may just get one of those vent inside blowers with the filters etc. £2000 is a bit steep, but will save the hassle.

Would be really good if manufacturers would come up with a turnkey solution for this issue that so many people have - and make is affordable when buying a laser as a bolt on! I imagine they are not expensive to make and would be great incentive when buying a machine. Spending £20k+ on a Trotec for example should some with a free blower or one that cost sub £500.

Joe De Medeiros
08-17-2012, 12:52 PM
I am in the same process as Ernie - new house - new workshop - triple the space! Cannot wait. I've looked into the in-line fans, and they seem perfect, but due to the work I do, little bits of paper and card get sucked through my blower and congregate outside. Would the in-line fans handle debris going through them?

On a separate note, anyone know how to silence or muffle the sound of air when it leaves a building? Living in the UK neighbours are close - so want to build something the silences/dampens the gushing of the air? Any ideas?

Jiten what you are looking for is an inline Duct Muffler, they cost around $70usd, they reduce the noise by 50%. I don't know where in the uk you can find them, but here in Canada they are typically found at a Hydroponics supply store.

PS i did a quick search and there is a place in the UK called Justfans that seems to carry them, so I'm sure you can find one locally

Mark Sipes
08-17-2012, 2:36 PM
Joe... How much air are you pushing/pulling for the air rush to be so loud it is a nuance/problem. In your photo are the fans the last link in the exhaust system.....

Joe De Medeiros
08-17-2012, 7:28 PM
Joe... How much air are you pushing/pulling for the air rush to be so loud it is a nuance/problem. In your photo are the fans the last link in the exhaust system.....

Where I live now it's not a problem, but in my old neighborhood where the houses were packed in like sardines I had several complaints, and a visit by the by-law officer. The picture above is at glass studio that gives Lampworking lessons and each student has his own vent.

PS. I was using one of the Harbor Fright Green dust collectors (750cfm). It's not about how much air your pushing it's about how fast it's moving, typically 800fpm is silent, the dust collector blowers into a 4" pipe is about 6000fpm.

Robert Silvers
10-15-2013, 12:29 AM
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Suncourt-6-in-In-Line-Duct-Muffler-DM106/202803671#.UlzEdmRATHI