PDA

View Full Version : i have finally got a peice of arbutus

John Christian
08-15-2012, 12:52 PM
i have promised myself and made plans for a couple of years to get a small arbutus log to mill and cure and use. Gabriola Island where we have a house has lots of it. but things always got in the way or got I distracted or i was lazy, I finally did yesterday. Any advice on curing it and planking it on my band saw and the jointing and thickness planing. Its a small piece 8 in dia. and four feet long and very heavy and green

Mark Godlesky
08-15-2012, 11:36 PM
I can't help with your milling questions, but I am interested in knowing more about this wood. I did a little research and it seems like it is not much used for woodworking. Would it be used like boxwood for tool handles? Do you have pictures of milled pieces? I had not heard of this until your post.

david brum
08-16-2012, 9:23 AM
I'm pretty sure you're talking about Arbitus menziesii, which we call Pacific Madrone or Madrona. It's the tree with perpetually peeling bark which has evergreen, broad leaves. It definitely can be used for woodworking. It's really beautiful stuff and has a pleasant, sweet smell when being cut. The burl sections are gorgeous.
As far as planking and drying Madrona, it has a very high water content and is notorious for warping, cracking, etc. Here's (http://www.woodworkerssource.com/show_drying.php?wood=Arbutus%20menziesii)a link to some specific info. I think if you dry it slowly and keep your yield expectations low, you'll end up with some usable wood.

John Christian
08-16-2012, 12:16 PM
The locals have all said the same sorts of things. it is indeed very heavy. i am thinking to paint the ends and let it sit in my basement shop for a month or two and then plank it ( maybe an inch or so thick) and then rick it with a sand bag or two on top for another month or so and then see what i can. do on the jointer and thickness planer. then a box or two maybe