PDA

View Full Version : New Guy

Ernie Martinez
08-15-2012, 9:26 AM
Hello all.

I'm new to this site and Engraving as a whole. I'm planning on purchasing either an Epilog mini 24 or a Trotec Speedy 100 within the next month. Still have a steep learning curve ahead of me, and I look forward to leveraging this forum. I've got a few newbie questions to start with:

1. What are the best sites for Laser engravers supplies and material blanks.

2. Are there any base line rules for charging for work. I already have a restaurant lined up that want's souvenir glasses, but I'm not sure what to charge.

Thanks

Ernie

Mike Null
08-15-2012, 9:40 AM
Ernie

Welcome to SMC. The good news is that SMC members are entitled to a special discount if you choose to buy a Trotec. contact Keith Outten by pm and he'll point you in the right direction

All of your questions have been asked and answered many times so either searching for specifics or just going back and doing a lot of reading will turn up the answers you're looking for.

Ernie Martinez
08-15-2012, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the tip.

Ernie

Mark Sipes
08-15-2012, 1:25 PM
First question is where are you located.....that will influence our respones . Business licence will be a must to get the lowest price..wholesale. I hope you have found a local restaurant supply house for your glassware. and the laser will be purchased with a rotary attachment......Your graphic software is........Corel ??

See we have more questions than you do.....LOL......

Ernie Martinez
08-15-2012, 2:19 PM
I'm in SW Florida, I'm already incorporated, havent decided on software or hardware yet. Will be purchasing rotary attachment.

Mark Sipes
08-15-2012, 3:03 PM
" What are the best sites for Laser engravers supplies and material blanks.

JDS Jacksonville FL Just go to JDSIndustries dot com to see products...

Continental Awards Fort Lauderdale, FL Trophyparts dot com

Laserbits dot com

Now get specific as to what you are looking for..........we are here to help.

National ARA Awards Show & Conference FEB +- every year Las Vegas... Lasers/Suppliers/Rotary/Maunfacturers & Classes

John Fabre
08-15-2012, 4:58 PM
Welcome to Creek.

Ernie Martinez
08-15-2012, 5:56 PM
Thanks everyone, I've already created a rather large bookmark list. Some of the suggestion I found, and some are new. Good to know I can drive over and save shipping expense. Looks like I'm going go with a Trotec Speedy 100 40 watt. How important is air assist, and should I bother with ordering it with the built in compressor?

I'm going to start out small just doing novelty glasses, coasters, plaques etc. Has anyone user the Laseru courses? are they worth the money?

Ernie

Vicki Rivrud
08-15-2012, 6:37 PM
Hi Ernie,
Welcome to the Creek!
Where are you in SW Florida?

You can always give us a shout in Palm Harbor,
Vicki

Mark Sipes
08-15-2012, 6:51 PM
How important is air assist, and should I bother with ordering it with the built in compressor?

I'm going to start out small just doing novelty glasses, coasters, plaques etc. Ernie

Yes it is worth the cost...you can install later... but I am a bettin' man that you will want it if you don't do it now.. and red dot

Also consider thermos, stainless travel mugs and business card cases..... and the wedding flask especially the 64 oz one

Invest in a can of CerMark for stainless ... just google

Mike Null
08-16-2012, 6:12 AM
Ernie

If air assist for the 100 is the same as for the 300 get it factory installed. It's way better than anything else on the market and you can't hear it run.

It's very important as an aid in cutting.

Ernie Martinez
08-16-2012, 9:41 AM
Any idea on the cost of the internal compressor. The sales person I'm dealing with is really slow. I'm pretty much ready to pull the trigger and it takes the guy 3 days to respond to the simplest questions. Thats the problem with dealing with factory direct reps, you can't go to another distributor if you're unhappy with the sales person. Geesh! I have some other Trotec specific questions, but I'm going to start another thread on that.

Thanks all.

Ernie

Tucker Alford
08-16-2012, 1:46 PM
In case you haven't decided on a laser manufacturer I would strongly consider Universal. Being in SW FLorida your really close to Engraving System Support located in Dade City. I have purchased two M300's, software, as well as service work on Meistergram 2818's. ESS is a Universal distributor & repair business. Can't say enough good things about them other than, fast response, knowledgeable in every aspect of engraving, fair pricing & local support. I would honestly say support is the most important consideration in purchasing equipment for a new shop. You'll regret the day your machine or computer lets you down, ESS will be there when you need it.

Ernie Martinez
08-16-2012, 2:04 PM
They weren't very interested in competing in price with Epilog or Trotec. The guy said something about "Being the Cadillac" of Laser machines they cost more. I left it at that.

Ernie Martinez
08-16-2012, 2:41 PM
I posted this on another thread, but thought I'd drop it here as well.

I'd like to thank all of you for all your input. This is an invaluable forum. While I appreciate the explanation of differences between the Trotec and Epilog machines, at the end of the day I made my decision based on capabilities, price and support. I was blown away to have gotten a call from the President of Epilog who had read my posts on this forum. He was able to answer any of my questions and get me what I needed within my budget. Also the folks at Jackson and Associates were Johnny on the spot when it came to email replies.

Looks like I'm going to be an Epilog owner.

Thank you all again.

Ernie

Mark Sipes
08-17-2012, 2:41 PM
And the Trotec is the "BMW" of Lasers.

Tucker Alford
08-17-2012, 3:06 PM
Let's hope the president who sold you is as responsive when you need service.

David Fairfield
08-17-2012, 3:13 PM
Cool. You can't go wrong with an Epilog. I can't think of a car brand I'd compare it to, and I can't compare it to other lasers since I've only used this one, but I will say after years of reliable use I'm still surprised and impressed at what mine can do. It outperforms the claims made in Epilog's sales brochure. And the tech support great, you'll never be left alone in the wilderness.

Dave