PDA

View Full Version : Used lathe question.

Phil Rose
08-15-2012, 8:55 AM
I did a demo a couple weeks back, and one of the organizers asked me to look at a lathe her husband had purchased before he died. She has no use for it and wanted to see if it was worth anything.

It is a Craftsman 113.23801, with a Copy Crafter. She also has a set of Craftsman tools. She says he used it only once or twice, and from the look of the lathe and the tools I'm quite sure that's true.

I have no need for another lathe, but would like to help her out. I'm not looking to sell this here (third party sale, violation of terms, etc.), but rather get a feel for what it might be worth so I can give her some good direction.

Any thoughts?

Glen Blanchard
08-15-2012, 9:13 AM
Phil - A good rule of thumb for used woodworking equipment is 50% of what it would cost if purchased new. Slightly more (60%?) for stuff in really good shape.

Sid Matheny
08-15-2012, 10:09 AM
I have seen those old tube lathes sell for $50 to $100.

Sid

phil harold
08-15-2012, 10:16 AM
I have seen those old tube lathes sell for $50 to $100.

Sid
+1 on low price for them tube lathes
not the best quality of lathe...

Tim Rinehart
08-15-2012, 10:16 AM
Phil, I think it would make a better donation and write off than to try to sell it. If one of the local clubs is interested, see if they have any thoughts on an organization that would accept it for a member or group to use that falls in the 'non-profit' category.
Just a thought. I see these all the time for sale...and they don't move.
My BIL got one for free on CL a few years ago to "first-taker". Just not fun to turn on or find chucks/adapters for once you've used any of the modern minis or larger lathes. He ditched it not too much later.

Bob Bergstrom
08-15-2012, 12:24 PM
Our club turns down offers on that lathe. The tools may be worth more. The Craftsman tools are short but have good m2 steel in them. We use them for speciality scrapers and small turning tools. Still, we don't pay for them, but love them as donations.

Phil Rose
08-15-2012, 10:37 PM
Thank you everyone for the great input!