PDA

View Full Version : mold problem

sal shepherd
08-15-2012, 1:38 AM
I got a job making a mold of the ST LOUIS CATHEDRIAL. is there a progrom to help with depth Iguess to give a 3d look. I engrave them out of bass wood ,
is there a softer product that will hold fine art lines. I did a street car and it took 4 days for me to get it right. I had to draw it all on the computer and shade to get the right looks.

Mike Null
08-15-2012, 4:52 AM
Have you considered using cast acrylic. I have used it for molds in the past and was pleased with the sharp detail.

I think you're going to have to enhance your pencil drawing to facilitate better quality engraving. The drawing offers little in 3d value once you get past perspective.

There are quite a lot of images here which might help you in modifying your art. http://www.google.com/search?q=st.+louis+cathedral&hl=en&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=XmQrUO3ZHpGm8gSVpYD4DA&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=679

BTW, our St. Louis Cathedral is an architectural gem.

sal shepherd
08-16-2012, 10:30 PM
Mike what kind of depth can you get without distortion because of focual point. Is there a program to help with adjusting one of the photos you sugested. I have a Epilog 60 watt I have problems with the %'s of black when engraving a 3-d look. This wasn't the finished product,they have problems with the wheels and a few other things bleeding into background

Mike Null
08-17-2012, 6:35 AM
I think you can get to 5/32" depth without distortion using a 2" lens. Maybe a little more, then you'd have to re-focus.

I am not aware of a program to alter the drawing automatically but you can do it manually in Corel and PhotoPaint. I would probably re-draw it in Corel using one of the photos or the art you have. My approach would be to simplify it but make it more 3d friendly.

Keep in mind that this is not something I do--just theorizing.

Oh yes, over on the design forum, a lot of people use a program called Sketch-up which may do the trick.

Dustin Andrews
08-17-2012, 8:06 PM
If you can take many photos of the subject or a model of it you can get a 3d model computer model from this web site http://www.my3dscanner.com/ for free. (I have no idea what their business model is BTW).
Once you have that you can make a height map... somehow. I'm not clear on the software chain. I am certain it's possible and probably with 100% free software.

Michael Hunter
08-18-2012, 6:06 AM
Not wanting to hijack this thread, but I have a related question -

I have been asked to help with a half-model of a J-Class yacht hull.
Assuming that I can make or get a 3D model of the hill, can anyone point me in the right direction for a slicing utility to cut the model into 2D 1/16" slices.

Note : I am quite skilled at 2D CAD and Corel, but have yet to find a 3D program that I can get my head around.
The Sketchup program that the kids fly with has me completely mystified!

Balsanu Gabi
08-18-2012, 12:24 PM
Hi Michael,

Slicing it is no so complicated. Depends what CAD you have. You can use:
- Rhinoceros (has 25 save on trial and also has an extension marine for hull);
- cut 3d from Vectric (very nice - input an .stl);
- sketchup has a slicing add on (GIYF) <http://www.cad-addict.com/2009/07/sketchup-plugins-slice-your-model.html>;

HTH
Gabi

Matt Turner (physics)
08-18-2012, 1:28 PM
123D Make is free software that has lots of slicing capabilities.

Michael Hunter
08-18-2012, 2:50 PM
Thanks guys.

Rhino seems popular, so hopefully is not too horrendous to learn.
I had not realised that it had a trial period - I will probably download it soon.

123D, being completely free seems worth looking at too.

I've worked about 75 hours this week (still working now at 7:45pm on Saturday) doing skateboard display stands.
This means that all the smaller jobs have got pushed into next week and then I go on holiday (HURRAHHH !!!!).
When I get back I might find some time to think properly about the yacht model and how to do it.