PDA

View Full Version : An Idea Plane for the Plane Makers

Mark Wyatt
08-14-2012, 10:00 PM
I found this one recently and thought it was an interesting idea. It is an adjustable throat rabbet plane. No maker mark, but well made all the same.

Jim Koepke
08-14-2012, 11:27 PM
Neat idea Mark.

Makes me wonder if the plane was designed that way or if it was done by an owner that flattened the bottom once or twice before getting the idea.

jtk

Jim Matthews
08-15-2012, 7:53 AM
It's in current production from ECE (http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/primusdeluxerabbetplane.aspx).

I find mine moves with the seasons - it's flattest in Winter, convex (front end up) in Summer.

george wilson
08-15-2012, 8:55 AM
My brass "Nessie" shoulder plane in the FAQ section has an adjustable throat. The adjusting screw is within a brass cup inlet into the rosewood,and all is set in flush.

Zach Dillinger
08-15-2012, 9:15 AM
I had one very similar to yours Mark, but the mouthpiece on mine was attached to the sole with a sliding dovetail, and then tightened with a thumbscrew. Unfortunately, the sliding portion on one side was sheared off, so the sole wouldn't stay attached. I could see where the setup yours has would be better, in that it seems less likely to fail.

Kenneth Speed
08-15-2012, 8:13 PM
I'm trying to think of a reason one couldn't do this with a Hock shoulder plane blade and I can't seem to find one.

Ken