PDA

View Full Version : I have a feeling this is going to be expensive... Epilog Helix

Stephen Maloney
08-14-2012, 9:47 PM
When turned on, I get this:

(Epilog Helix 24x18 60w)

Fans start, but no typical X/Y start-up movement.

The laser worked just fine last night. Also, I recently moved. Maybe something worked it's way lose?

:( Ideas?

Matt Davis
08-14-2012, 10:26 PM
My first post after years of lurking!

The exact same thing happened to my mini 24 a couple of months ago. Turning the unit on and off did nothing. Unplugging the power and plugging it back in did nothing. But, when I disconnected the ethernet cable, everything came back up. On closer examination, it appeared the ethernet cable had gotten pinched between the wall and the table the laser was sitting on. Everything has been working perfectly since then.

Might be worth a try.

David Fairfield
08-14-2012, 10:59 PM
Also see if your puter isn't the cause. You tried rebooting, right?

Mike Null
08-15-2012, 5:14 AM
I would agree that it seems to be a communication issue. Disconnect and reconnect all your cables.

Frank Corker
08-15-2012, 4:21 PM
Steve I'd be interested to hear if Matt's diagnosis is correct. Matt welcome out of the lurking closet. We're all friendly here and no question is too silly, we've all been there.

Matt Davis
08-16-2012, 4:21 PM
Thanks Frank! Actually, many thanks to everyone here. I've learned a lot from all of you over the past few years of my lurkerhood.

I'm curious as well if he solved the problem. When it happened to me, I thought for sure I was about to be ordering a new motherboard from Epilog. I had checked all the connections going to the motherboard, and was about to make the call when I realized I hadn't yet unplugged the ethernet cable. Unplugged it, turned the unit on and up it came!

Larry Bratton
08-16-2012, 7:52 PM
Did you open it up and see how many lights are lighted on the motherboard? That looks like a motherboard issue to me. I don't see what the ethernet cable would have to do with it?

When turned on, I get this:

(Epilog Helix 24x18 60w)

Fans start, but no typical X/Y start-up movement.

The laser worked just fine last night. Also, I recently moved. Maybe something worked it's way lose?

:( Ideas?

Matt Davis
08-16-2012, 7:59 PM
My theory (and it's only a theory) is that the pinched ethernet cable was causing a short to be detected by the CPU on the motherboard....thus preventing it from completing its booting sequence. Of course, I could be totally wrong. All I know is that unplugging the cable brought the machine back up.