PDA

View Full Version : Eggbeater rehab

Karl Andersson
08-13-2012, 8:21 PM
When it rains it pours – normally I don’t find much more than old files when out looking for tools. Recently I stopped at a junky flea market and picked up these two eggbeater drills –a Craftsman (Millers Falls 77?) and a Stanley 620. The Craftsman was first or I probably would have passed on it – it had no bits in the handle and was missing one of the chuck jaw springs. The Stanley was next –still has about half the yellow decal on the crank disk and most of the paint on the red part of the handle and disk -plus it has the full set of 8 bits in the handle. Each of them was 1 dollar, so I figured I got a deal…
the Craftsman
The Stanley 602 with bits

The Stanley’s lacquered handles have pretty much lost theircoating, and I’m not sure if I should re-lacquer them or sit it on a shelf incomplete, used condition (maybe it will be valuable as “unrestored” when I havegrown grandkids?). In any event, I like the look of the Craftsman better, so Idecide to do a Rat Rod restoration on it – make it clean and perfectlyfunctional but don’t remove it’s signs of use. So here goes:
before
Removed all the parts and soaked them in PB Blaster, scrubbedthem with a steel wire brush, then cleaned them with choke/ carb cleaner. Then another scrubbing session with keroseneto float away the debris but leave a rust-resistant coating. I left the darkareas dark, just removed the rust. Therewas light pitting on the crank handle, but it came out looking almost intentional.

The springs are the bent-straight type, not coil springs.The original springs were .028”, but the local hobby shop only had .032 instock. I bent a replacement with acouple needle-nosed pliers and viola, it works – if not a little stiffer thanthe other two.
I then stripped the handles – seem to be lacquer, as the oldworn finish came right off with acetone. The original lacquer was a transparent mahogany color and the wood underneathwas a too-cheerful reddish color, so I dubbed it down with a medium brown woodstain, waited for it to dry, then brushed on 3 coats of brushing lacquer. After that was hard, I rubbed it down with0000 steel wool to get a silky, not shiny surface.
Well here’s the oldtimer, ready to go another century or so-now I just have to figure out what to do with that Stanley

Later,
Karl

Jim Koepke
08-13-2012, 10:20 PM
Looks like a great user.

The springs are the bent-straight type, not coil springs.The original springs were .028”, but the local hobby shop only had .032 instock. I bent a replacement with acouple needle-nosed pliers and viola, it works – if not a little stiffer thanthe other two.

The solution to that is to make two more.

I wonder what they would do at Sears if you took it in for a warrantee repair?

You may want to fix up the Stanley to use. Occasionally two of mine get put to use when drilling a more than a few pilot and clearance holes for screws. It is also nice to have a lesser eggbeater for when you have to go out and use it under the house, in the rain or even if a neighbor wants to borrow one.

jtk

Archie England
08-14-2012, 7:26 AM
Nice job of rehabbing! Do that to the Stanley, too. Having used these as a child on the farm, I have a weakness for them (= I own several). I keep various size bits and counter-bores in mine for convenience. To me, this is helpful.

Karl Andersson
08-14-2012, 8:21 AM
Thanks Jim, the two-drill statement makes a lot of sense. Maybe I will make 2 more springs, but I'll need to find a decent vise or something - bending it freehand after a couple cups of coffee was a bit jittery. And I would LOVE to take it to Sears, but the sad thing is they'd probably send me to the kitchen department. Would be a fun YouTube video.

The good feature of the Stanley is the flared handle end, so you can bear down on it with your body comfortably while using both hands to guide the drill - so I guess I will restore it and keep it handy in the shop - but to me it looks like it was made by Playschool, big, red and chunky, so I'll keep it somewhere inobtrusive.

Anyone have tips on where I can find pigments for lacquer?

Jim Koepke
08-14-2012, 12:22 PM
but to me it looks like it was made by Playschool, big, red and chunky, so I'll keep it somewhere inobtrusive.

To me, it looks like it may have had the cap replaced. I have a 100th anniversary Stanley that looks very similar. It is my "beater" egg beater.

My two main users are a pair of Millers Falls #2s. The bit count held in one of the heads is only 4 bits used for drilling pilot and clearance holes for #6 and #8 screws.

Here is one tip, for replacement coil springs smaller than hardware stores carry, disposable Bic lighters have 2 different size springs. One is under the flint and one is under the thumb lever. A few of my beat up old chucks have been returned to service using these. All you need to do is find someone who uses them if you do not smoke yourself.

jtk