PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs advice on CAD/CAM

Ardy Reed
08-13-2012, 1:29 PM
I am a newbie just getting into woodworking. I am currently in the process of building a Rockcliff Model D router and I am wondering when it is finished, what I will use to produce files to run on it. I am mostly interested in doing small projects like signs and some custom design machining. I currently have AutoCAD 2005, no CAM package and no 3D package. What is best for a beginner like me to use based on what I want to do? Is there a combo package available that will do both? By the way, I really don't want to spend $1500.00 just yet either. What is out there for me? Thanks for the help.

Jerome Stanek
08-13-2012, 2:56 PM
Check out the Vectric line of software you can start out with Vcave pro and later upgrade to Aspire.

George Carlson
08-13-2012, 4:55 PM
I use CamBam. It's a very easy program to use for 2 and 2.5D g-code generation. Since it does a great job of reading DXF files, it would be a good G-Code generator to use with AutoCAD. The licensed vesion is $150. You can download the full version and use it (limited to 500 lines). If you like it, you can then buy the license and use it unlimited.

John McClanahan
08-13-2012, 6:00 PM
For sign making, and to learn on, 2.5D cam software might be a good choice. The 2.5D adds a single cut depth to the 2D CAD file. For example, you can tell the CAM software to cut 3/8", in 3 passes, each 1/8" deep.

If you choose Vectric software, they will let you upgrade to 3D later on.

John

Ardy Reed
08-13-2012, 7:55 PM
Thanks for the advice. I will check out all of these. Are any of you going to IWF next week? My dad and I are going. I'm pretty excited.

james mcgrew
08-14-2012, 8:06 PM
come by the booth and introduce yourself, you may get to meet kieth outten and some others from the forum

camaster.com

Ardy Reed
08-15-2012, 1:31 PM
Awesome, I will definately stop by.

Paul Johnstone
08-22-2012, 11:40 AM
If you already have autocad to make your STL files, try out Deskproto.. the hobbyist licenses are very affordable. They have a 30 day trial that allows you to actually cut things.

Some things Deskproto does better than Vectric software, other things Vectric does better.. (I have both)..

Keith Outten
08-23-2012, 7:07 AM
We made the 600 mile drive to Atlanta yesterday. I will be at IWF this morning.
Looking forward to visiting with everyone again.

Ardy, I'm a big fan of Vectric software.

Ardy Reed
08-26-2012, 4:34 PM
Enjoyed the show. It was a pleasure meeting some of you guys. The guys at Vectric and Camaster were great. I picked up the Vectric trial software while there and I am playing with it now.

james mcgrew
08-26-2012, 6:37 PM
it was good to meet you too !

Matt McColley
09-18-2012, 3:07 PM
For CAM packages...

BobCAD/CAM is pretty good for the money.... make sure you dicker with them because they do deal and will call back with a better offer. In fact, they'll hound you for years. :^)

We run the 2D Enroute package and really like it. Very easy to use. Very intuative. Good support. But pricey!

We do all of our CAD in either AutoCAD or SolidWorks.