PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Safe MDF

Zvi Grinberg
08-13-2012, 8:07 AM
Hello Creekers,

Does anyone know about a source for safe MDF?
The standard MDF has Formaldehyde fume when being processed by the laser.

I am looking for a material that does does it with safer fumes.

I'd be happy to get directions for a supplir and/or manufacturer anywhere in the world.

Thanks

Zvi

Michael Hunter
08-13-2012, 11:58 AM
Among the many nasty chemicals released by vapourising natural wood is - formaldehyde!

Unless it is your customer that is demanding "safe" MDF, then your search seems a bit pointless.

Mel Fulks
08-13-2012, 12:33 PM
I think this is a "I'm worried about me", thing.Perfectly understandable. Don't worry though, your nose will be too full of dust to take in any gases,air included. I think they exist , but all that safe is expensive.

Mel Fulks
08-13-2012, 2:19 PM
There is one called Ultra Stock-FREE MDF.Hmm.Maybe it's not expensive!

Kevin Groenke
08-13-2012, 10:09 PM
is this a troll?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=formaldehyde+free+mdf

Zvi Grinberg
08-15-2012, 10:09 AM
Thank you all for the information. It is really helpful.

I would like to add for those who give it less significance.

Firstly, I do not see anything wrong that awareness causes people to be extra careful.
Many of us do it when we decide what we're eating or drinking, many others do not care.
Lasering is a deliberate vapor creation action, so people who cause it, should be extra careful.

This particular customer of mine (bought the laser) are taking their neighbours' wellness in account in addition to their own.
Their laser is operated from a home shop and extracted air goes to adjacent homes.

Thanks again,

Zvi

Mike Null
08-15-2012, 10:30 AM
Zvi

Wouldn't a good filter more easily meet your objectives? It's not just mdf and wood that create putrid fumes.

Peter Jones
08-15-2012, 11:54 AM
I'd be interested in a more laser-friendly mdf as well.