PDA

View Full Version : Oak HF (before warping)

Dennis Ford
08-12-2012, 7:16 PM
I turned this HF this afternoon from wet White Oak, it is 10" diameter X 6-1/2" tall. The wall thickness is 3/16 - 1/4". I put one coat of Tung oil on it and am hoping for good results when it drys. There is a spot of bark on one side (looks like a sunspot) that should add some character. Comments and critiques welcome.

charlie knighton
08-12-2012, 7:37 PM
very nice Dennis, the oak may not warp noticeable even though it is green, but it will probably crack around !/4 of the knot unless you ca'ed the knot

David DeCristoforo
08-12-2012, 8:09 PM
Sweet looking form. We will pray that it holds it shape. If not, just "let on" that you wanted it that way...

Bernie Weishapl
08-12-2012, 9:59 PM
That is a great looking HF. Hopefully it will stay put.

Thomas Canfield
08-12-2012, 10:01 PM
Nice looking form and finish. I hope all you get is some warp and not the majorchecking that I usually get with Oak, but mine is usually the Red Oak or Live Oak. Warped it should present a nice form in any case.

Michelle Rich
08-13-2012, 4:22 AM
I like the flowing wave shape..very distinctive..pretty HF

Tim Rinehart
08-13-2012, 8:54 AM
I like this piece Dennis, well done form and the wood has some nice grain/color. I think you will likely have some additional shrinkage in the sunspot area where the bark is, but that may not be an issue for you.

Dave Carey
08-13-2012, 9:19 AM
Dennis,
Like it a lot especially how the rays radiate from the bottom up through the form.

Prashun Patel
08-13-2012, 9:33 AM
That looks beautiful.

Good luck with it! Most of my oak cracks.

If it were me, I'd put it in a plastic bag and keep it in the basement. Open the bag every couple days and look for cracks -especially around the feet. Seal them with CA glue and pray.

Ron Stadler
08-14-2012, 9:04 PM
Very Purrty, hopefully this one make it through the drying process, to nice to crack on ya. Beautiful wood also.

Dennis Ford
08-15-2012, 9:15 PM
I have been away from home since taking the picture but got home today and the HF survived without any cracks. It is now a little less than 9-1/2" wide and just over 10" long. It probably is not completely finished moving yet but I believe it will be OK. It had one coat of tung oil and I had left it upside down over a 3/4" rod so that air could circulate around and inside.

Steve Schlumpf
08-16-2012, 8:03 AM
Very nice work Dennis! Glad to hear that things are going well with the drying - so far! Please post a photo of it once it is finished.