PDA

View Full Version : Do you run your DC while you are turning?

Glen Blanchard
08-12-2012, 6:58 PM
It has been pretty well established that it is next to impossible to suck up all the curls we make when we turn. It is also widely accepted that it is best to have the DC on while sanding on the lathe, as it will suck up much of the fine dust. But what about dust when we turn? How much fine dust is created whilst we use our gouges and scrapers? Should we have our DCs turned on while we turn even though it's not getting the big curls?

Dennis Ford
08-12-2012, 7:07 PM
I do not normally run the DC while turning but will for really dry dusty woods.

Mike Cruz
08-12-2012, 7:32 PM
I will run my DC while finish turning where smaller curlies and dust are being created...especially when turning walnut and other woods that can cause allergic reactions.

George Morris
08-12-2012, 9:29 PM
I run my DC all the time when on the lathe turning and sanding. The cyclone is in another part of garage outside of my shop.

Greg Just
08-12-2012, 9:30 PM
Only when sanding. Almost impossible to catch the chips with the DC. I do run my overhead shop air cleaner though.

Tim Leiter
08-12-2012, 9:40 PM
I have my DC on all the time my lathe is spinning for shaping the material or finishing. I always see some curlies, chips and dust being sucked in while I am using my lathe. I can't imagine any time that I would want it turned off while turning.

Bernie Weishapl
08-12-2012, 9:53 PM
I don't normally run my DC except when sanding. To me it is a waste of time and power when turning as it doesn't take much in.

James Roberts
08-12-2012, 9:56 PM
If I'm turning really green, water flying', moist curlies everywhere kind of wood then no. Otherwise yes and my shop made air cleaner too. I have a screen attached to my dc hose to keep the big curls out, don't have a cyclone separator yet:(, so I have to clean the screen occasionally. You would be surprised at the amount of fine dust made while turning dry wood, walnut seems the worst.

Glen Blanchard
08-12-2012, 10:24 PM
You would be surprised at the amount of fine dust made while turning dry wood, walnut seems the worst.

There's the information I was looking for. I have recently started using the DC anytime my lathe is spinning. However, I was wondering (as the large stuff just ignores the presence of the DC) if it was a waste of time/energy. I think I'll continue to crank up the cyclone.

Tom Wilson66
08-12-2012, 11:20 PM
It's the dust you can't see that will cause the respiratory problems, not the curlies. Even though you can't see it going into the dust collector, it is there. That is also why I have the Trend airshield. Yes, I run my DC any time I am turning dry wood. It also cuts down on dusting, which I really hate :D

Reed Gray
08-12-2012, 11:43 PM
I do tend to wear a dust mask when turning walnut, even if it is wet. That stuff gives me mild headaches. Just about any time I am turning dry wood, I will have the DC on. Don't like to eat or snort it.

robo hippy

Terry Vaughan
08-13-2012, 11:52 AM
I almost always run mine. I once did some measurements of the dust produced when turning dry wood and it was well above the safety level. And your nose is right in the zone where the dust goes. There must be times when the level is less, but why pay for the extractor and not use it?

Terry

James Combs
08-13-2012, 3:40 PM
I have my DC on all the time my lathe is spinning for shaping the material or finishing. I always see some curlies, chips and dust being sucked in while I am using my lathe. I can't imagine any time that I would want it turned off while turning.

Ditto what Tim said. I also always have the inlet of the suction hose right under my hands pretty much even with my belt. I wear a dust mask and a face shield. So far I have not noticed any discoloring of the mask even with walnut but even then I will change it every week or two. The location of the intake pulls air and associated dust down away from my face and mask. I also have a small fan blowing across the work space from the side.

Richard Jones
08-13-2012, 3:56 PM
Only when sanding. Almost impossible to catch the chips with the DC. I do run my overhead shop air cleaner though.

This. Air cleaner runs the whole time I'm in the shop, regardless of the task, and cuts off 2 hours after I leave.

Prashun Patel
08-13-2012, 4:16 PM
I've been recently running it all* the time. I also wear a respirator all* the time. Not for the curlies, but for the dust that is inevitably gen'd. I don't have breathing problems yet, but on days I don't use the respirator and dc - even for a short while, my mouth feels chalky. I'm sure it's dust.

* truth = when I'm not being lazy.

Harry Robinette
08-13-2012, 5:20 PM
My 1200cfm DC and 1400cfm Air Cleaner run whenever any machine in the shop is running. Even when turning green wood I can notice the dust if the DC and Air Cleaner aren't running.

Grant Wilkinson
08-14-2012, 1:44 PM
I would guess that almost everyone who has replied so far has much more experience turning than I do, so please take my practice in that light.
I wear a cobbled together 3M Breathe Easy with the helmet when I turn. I don't run the dust collector. My reason will likely be considered foolish, but my dust collector is about 2 feet from my lathe. I like to hear what is going on with the piece when I turn and I can't hear a thing over the dust collector. I have a ceiling mounted air cleaner that I turn on while I'm turning. I can still hear what's going on with the piece over that. Between the Breathe Easy and the air cleaner, I don't seem to be breathing too much bad stuff. It does mean more sweeping afterwards, though.

Bernie May
08-14-2012, 7:21 PM
Any of you who do not have a air monitor like the Dylos 1100 should seriously consider getting one. It will change your life in your shop!!!!