PDA

View Full Version : Is this just crazy? Turning Studio

Doug Herzberg
08-12-2012, 6:45 PM
A while back, I posted a thread on shop layout for turning http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?180814-Question-on-shop-layout-do-you-ever-stand-on-the-quot-other-quot-side-of-the-lathe&highlight=

A lot of you responded with some great ideas and I ended up trying a layout a la Jon McElwain and some others, with my back to the wall, tools behind me, and the lathe away from the wall about three feet.

My shop is a little tight for this. I have some other possible arrangements, but I like having the wall behind for tool storage.

Meanwhile, I'm adding on to the shop. The gable extension is 7' deep and 18' wide and has a connecting door and two exterior doors. The intent was to move the dust collector and compressor into the addition to reduce noise in the shop. I was also planning to move lumber storage and sheet goods to this area to make more room in the shop. Then I thought the radial arm saw could go out there with the long boards, since I mostly use it to cut them to length. And then there is the refrigerator/bowl kiln I'm making.

So the addition is under way. It has glass walls made of 4068 sliders because they were on sale at Habitat ReStore for less than the cost of siding and it occurred to us it would be a great place for SWMBO to winter plants.

Problem? I like this space and it suddenly seems like a great place for a turning "studio." Except for the glass walls. Pros: Pleasant space, nice view, shavings stay in one place, dedicated turning area. Cons: Glass wall, heat in winter, won't be looking at the view.

So am I insane? I thought about a heavy wire screen, like 6x6 concrete reinforcing wire mesh. It is tempered glass, but that won't be enough in the worst case scenario. What do you think?

Mike Cruz
08-12-2012, 7:38 PM
Those in glass houses should not throw...bowls off their lathes. :rolleyes:

I don't know, Doug. I suppose you could set it up so that your back is to the glass walls. It would really bring in a lot of light. Seems like if you are going to put plants in there in the winter, you'd still have to heat it, so it looks like it'll need to be heated either way.

Crazy? No. Is it the best option? Only you can decide that...

David DeCristoforo
08-12-2012, 8:08 PM
IMMHO, the dust collector and the refrigerator kiln will never appreciate being in that wonderful, sunny space. Nor will the RAS. OK... "flying chunks of wood" and "glass" are not frequently used in the same sentence. But I, for one, would not be able to resist having all that natural light in my shop!

BTW, you are taking a great risk by posting pics of your shop with all that dust and debris laying around. Some of these guys are merciless. Trust me... I know!

Doug Herzberg
08-12-2012, 8:30 PM
BTW, you are taking a great risk by posting pics of your shop with all that dust and debris laying around. Some of these guys are merciless. Trust me... I know!

I thought JK was taking some time off. I did see his recent post, though, so I knew it was a risk. The reason for the photo, besides showing how tight the layout is, was to show how the chips fall so people can visualize what it would be like in the new room. As for the other clutter, well, I've been busy. Sorry you all had to see that.

It's a southern exposure, so I am hoping for some solar gain, as well as winter light. One more "Pro."

Jerry Marcantel
08-12-2012, 9:24 PM
Doug, when I first started turning, I didn't and still don't have an enclosed shop. I work under a 16 X 40 patio roof and thought it would be nice to look out at the amazing veiw I'm blessed with while turning, but within 2 days I couldn't take the glare from the surroundings.... So, I ended up putting my lathe up against the wall of the house and have my back to the view.. Problem for you is, if anything exploded and you had your back to the windows, you might lose them. It's always 6 of one and half dozen of the other. No matter what you do, it's gonna be nice.. .... ... Jerry (in Tucson)

James Roberts
08-12-2012, 9:25 PM
Don't apologize for the mess, it's a sign of weakness and they can sense your shame and make you bow to their finicky, clean shop rules. Heck, it took me an hour and a half to get my shop UP to your level:D!

Would love to have a window, let alone a whole wall of them, in my basement shop but I get the whole flying object thing (launched one tonight as a matter of fact:mad:). Just a few quick odd ideas to mull over for glass preservation, totally free flying thinking here, 1) Lexan panel that could be moved around, figure where the line of fire is and protect just that area? 2) curtain of some type, set in away from window to catch errant turnings before impact on glass - think a backstop like something used for shagging golf balls. Roll up or draw type? 3) cage or shield mounted to opposite side of lathe so you could face windows and flyers would only go up or back, not toward glass?

Not sure if this helps but it's a thought.

George Morris
08-12-2012, 9:27 PM
I would give it a try easy to move the lathe and see how you like it!

Rick Markham
08-13-2012, 1:03 AM
Just buy a few extra sliders while you can get them cheap. I'm like DD, it would be very hard to resist putting the lathe in there.

Michelle Rich
08-13-2012, 4:17 AM
Glare thru the windows? Personally if I did not live in a climate that gets 40 below I would gladly use a space like that. I'd say, heck, that's why I insure my house..off chance something flies off and breaks a window??? If one is aware & careful, and maybe covered the glass where the chances were highest it would hit???

Roger Chandler
08-13-2012, 6:50 AM
Doug..........I would not be afraid of putting my lathe near the windows............I would however, string up a net [think some type of netting like a soccer net or such, and tension it by anchoring it to the ceiling joist and near the bottom of the windows....with a net in place it would take the ballistics out of a flying missle........you might get the best of the light and be safe as well........nice shop you have in progress there!

Bob Rotche
08-13-2012, 7:35 AM
Being stuck in a windowless basement, I am drooling with thoughts of being in a shop like that! I like Roger's idea of a net. Would clearly protect the windows, would let the light through, and would be easy to put up or take down. Good luck!

Mike Cruz
08-13-2012, 10:42 AM
As long as it is easy to take down and put back up, becuase you WILL have to clean up behind there...

Prashun Patel
08-13-2012, 11:13 AM
The only reason I could see is if you wanted to piggyback on the DC of your main shop. However it's probably more efficient and appropriate to just bundle up and open the windows when you need to sand.

Until you get around to putting up some bullet proof glass or a net, a sheet of plywood in the line of fire resting against the window is probably all you need.

Pat Scott
08-13-2012, 12:03 PM
My shop is my garage. I have the lathe parallel to the garage door, and with the door closed there is about 3' of space between the lathe and door (could be a wall in your case). I don't stand in this 3' space, I face it. On nice days I can open the door and look outside. There's no way I could orient the lathe so my back is to the wall/door because when roughing out it would only be minutes before the shavings would take over and I'd have no place to stand.

Opening the door when sanding never works for me because the wind always blows the dust back into me and never (or rarely) away from me. Also I find that many times on nice days I still have to close the door because the sunlight is too bright. I can see what I'm doing better when I have the door closed and my lathe lights on. Something to think about if you have your lathe next to a wall of windows, make sure you have blinds or something when you want to close off the sun and glare.

John Beaver
08-13-2012, 1:24 PM
What about placing the lathe 90 degrees to the wall of glass. That way anything flying off would likely not go towards the windows.

Mike Cruz
08-13-2012, 1:36 PM
At least not straight at the glass... it would hit at a 45" angle. ;)

Rick Markham
08-13-2012, 3:57 PM
I'm with John B. Put it 90 degrees to the wall of glass right in the center of the space, make sure the tailstock end is towards the windows, so you can get light down inside where your working.

You can put up a curtain behind the lathe made of chicken wire. Just make it removable so you can sweep. (like a removeable divider, two boards one attached to the ceiling and one attached to the floor, with the chicken wire stretched between.) The chicken wire won't block any light, and once you've used it a few times it will be like a ball return at the bowling alley. It will return the escapee right to your feet, you won't even have to go get it! :D

Harry Robinette
08-13-2012, 5:38 PM
Doug
Whatever you decide to do DON'T put your DC and Air compressor in the same room, the fine dust that overflows from the DC is to much for the compressor to handle and well wear out much to soon.

Doug Herzberg
08-13-2012, 9:47 PM
Doug
Whatever you decide to do DON'T put your DC and Air compressor in the same room, the fine dust that overflows from the DC is to much for the compressor to handle and well wear out much to soon.

Thanks for the heads up, Harry. If I put the lathe there, I won't want the compressor noise in the same room. The DC annoys me with other tools and I don't often use it with the lathe. The Trend AS Pro seems to keep my breathing air pretty clean, even when sanding.

Doug Herzberg
08-13-2012, 10:13 PM
JK was lurking after all and saw my shop photo as a cry for help to the shop police 911. He hopped a plane to supervise the cleanup:

Just kidding. David shamed me into straightening up so that won't happen. I just put a blow gun on the air hose and cycled the compressor about 20 times. Now, if I can just get some time to organize the workbench:

Seriously, thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. I managed to avoid the two responses I feared most:

1. Yes, Doug, you are certifiable.

2. A turning studio? Really? What would YOU do in there?

I guess the biggest help was the suggestion that I just try it for awhile. I'm putting 220 in anyway, so there's no reason not to. I tend to over think things sometimes.

I can't do 90 degrees to the window, because the lathe is longer than 7 feet, but I can angle it with the tailstock end pointed at the windows. The center slider is on a track, so I can open it to let the air in, dust out. As for heat, the connecting door is near the woodstove, so I can prop it open and use a fan to blow warm air out. I have one of those radiant heaters I could hang right over the lathe to preheat the area. (We see 20 below, Michelle, not usually much worse than that.) Maybe I can rig a gantry crane above as well, to assist in getting the blanks on the lathe.

I was also planning to keep firewood in this addition. I think I'll continue doing that. That way, I'll have a ready supply of turning wood, and, if I angle the lathe right, the bowls can fly right into the fancy firewood pile.