PDA

View Full Version : Epilog Helix 50 Watt - Front Access Panel

Val Delaney
08-12-2012, 4:54 PM
Re our Epilog Helix 50 Watt - I need to open the front access panel to engrave a bass guitar neck. I know this sounds so stupid, but we can't figure out how to open. We thought you could just open but unless it's a REALLY REALLY tight fit, there is something that we need to do. We know about having to use magnets once we get the panel open, but we can't figure out the trick to opening it. It's not mentioned in the user manual...it just says open the panel. Any ideas? (The machine is less than one year old.)

thanks!

Val Delaney
Delaney Guitars

Larry Bratton
08-12-2012, 6:23 PM
I don't have a Helix, but to my knowledge the front panels on Epilogs don't open up like that. I do what your describing from time to time but I have to take the screws out and remove the front panel of my EXT.

Ooops, I stand corrected. Just checked on Epilogs site and the Helix machines do have a hinged door. I don't know when they started doing that though. Maybe someone that has a new one can help you.

Steve Busey
08-12-2012, 7:50 PM
My 5 year old Helix just opens fine (hinges downward) like our clothes dryer. No special catches or anything. Maybe your got bent slightly in shipping? Have you tried (lowering the table and) pushing from the inside?

Michael Hunter
08-12-2012, 7:58 PM
My Epilog has the screwed type front door.
Undo the screws and it WON'T open unless you give it a bash from the inside.
The rubber seal glues the door in place!

Perhaps Val is facing the same problem?

vic casware
08-12-2012, 8:10 PM
I think they all must be that way, my 50W is only 9 months old and you have to put some muscle behind it to open the door.
I always wondered if that was normal too.

James E Graham
08-12-2012, 9:28 PM
I have a Epilog Helix 45, door opens easily, just swings down. Its held shut with magnets.

Roger Leiva
08-12-2012, 10:32 PM
Val. In this it is good to ask. Not feel stupid. All the theme answers are valid. I have a 24 60 watt Helix but is fairly new. Front cover is hinged down and at the upper ends internally has magnets which hold the cover tightly. If you want to open it only need to embed 4 fingers on each handle and black plastic cover with your thumb push the machine claimed to strongly forward. The top yield. If an earlier version machine, you may need the screw cover and no magnets. It should come loose screws to remove.
Roger C. Leiva (Costa Rica) Helizx 24 60 Watt.

Mike Null
08-13-2012, 6:57 AM
Val

Welcome to SMC. It would appear that you are a builder of guitars. Could you not remove the neck and engrave it?

Val Delaney
08-31-2012, 9:55 AM
240279240280Thanks everyone! Our front panel is hinged, and we didn't realize how much muscle was needed to "pull it open". Since this is the first time we've had to open it, I thought maybe there was a trick. We have opened it and are ready to laser our bass neck. Yes, we removed the neck, but it still doesn't fit. These dang bass players :). We are ready to laser it now. So this will be our first attempt at using the Helix with the front panel open. I know we have to use magnets to make the laser fire. Where do we put them? Unfortuantely, Epilog can't help since firing with the door open poses a safety hazard. And our sales guy is less than pleasant when dealing w/ a woman. His response was "well, open the door and look!" He says his model has a round magnet like the lid. Ours does not. We've tried round magets and bar magnets in multiple locations and have had no luck.

Anyone else using this machine? Thanks!

Val Delaney
08-31-2012, 12:11 PM
we figured it out!! There are two switches on the cabinet frame. (Behind the front panel.) We placed the magnets over just half of the switch. That was the trick.