PDA

View Full Version : Semi-OT, WWII Military Info?

Russ Filtz
04-11-2005, 10:27 AM
I'm making a flag case for my father's burial flag as a surprise gift to my Mom (it's been a long time, so condolences aren't required!). I was thinking of possibly engraving his service insignia onto a plaque if I can find it. Problem is, I never actually knew what branch of service he was in!

What I know is the he served during WWII as a pilot trainer at Mountain Home, ID. Supposedly he actually trained Jimmy Stewart to fly! Later he transferred to LA. Any of you old timers know what type of base was at Mountain Home?

Thanks, Russ

Ken Fitzgerald
04-11-2005, 10:32 AM
Russ.....there's still an Air Force Base at Mountain Home or at least there was a short time ago.

Check out this link: scroll down to the history of Mountain Home AFB

http://www.mountainhome.af.mil/WingStaff/HO/index.asp

Russ Filtz
04-11-2005, 11:06 AM
Thanks, some good info! So there was no "official" airforce back then? Seems like the airforce was under the army right? According to the artical the USAF didn't come about until 1948. So I guess I'll go with US Army Air Force. Any ideas where to find some insignia?

Weird, I did all the Google searches, but never saw that site!

Ray Bersch
04-11-2005, 11:06 AM
Sounds like he was in the Army Air Corps. The Air Force was not established as a seperate branch until 1947. I would search the WWII history sites. I know there is a site somewhere where you can search for men by name - I just could not find it this morning - I think you have a great idea and doing some research may be a good connection to your father - good luck.

Russ Filtz
04-11-2005, 11:34 AM
Thanks, found this site.

http://aad.archives.gov/aad/search.jsp?file_id=3475&coll_id=null&data_layout_id=494&table_id=893

Also got a reply from this historical government email

AFHSO Research [afhso.research@pentagon.af.mil]

Carl Eyman
04-11-2005, 1:21 PM
I posted my enlisted serial number (yes, I still remember it) and got more information about me, than I care to know. Gosh, how a scam expert could manipulate that info.

Russ Filtz
04-11-2005, 2:46 PM
My dad was listed as a Staff Sargeant, but the guy at the military supply store said you had to be officer grade to be a pilot instructor. Is this true back then, or were rules relaxed during the war? If it's true is it possible he was ground school only or something? All I know for sure is that he was supposed to be a flight instructor. He may have had his pilot's license before he enlisted. Maybe that's why he was able to do it as a sargeant?

Bill Lewis
04-12-2005, 12:46 PM
I wish that someday the military records would be made available on-line. I'm pretty sure you can get the records from the National Archives. I don't know if you can do so without actually going there. It might be worth some more investigating.

My Grandfather was a pilot instructor as well. WWI! My sister still has the pictures of him wearing the long leather coat, knee-high lace up boots and the leather cap & goggles, while standing in front of a "Jenny". But that's about all I know.

Bobby Hicks
04-12-2005, 12:47 PM
Thanks, found this site.

http://aad.archives.gov/aad/search.jsp?file_id=3475&coll_id=null&data_layout_id=494&table_id=893

Also got a reply from this historical government email

AFHSO Research [afhso.research@pentagon.af.mil]

Russ,

Did you find any other info on-line? If so, can you post a link to the source? I tried working my way through your above link with no success. Or, maybe some tips of how you got your info there.

I'm curious about my grandfather’s military history. I remember hearing his yarn's about going through seven countries in Europe during WWII. He was a great storyteller. I believe he enlisted with the Air Force/Corps and then transferred to the Army, just before going to Europe.

Carl Eyman
04-12-2005, 5:15 PM
Russ the guys that flew were the Army Air Corps - at least during WWII. They tried to make believe they weren't but they were part of the army. They were as much a part of the Army as were the Infantry, Artillery, Engineers, etc. Their perceived (by the other services) air of arrogance was much resented by the ground services and the cause of a lot of fights in the pubs of jolly old England. But all of us always welcomed their close support in combat. How important that was was clearly shown in the Battle of the Bulge (December 1944) The Germans counter attacked in Belgium in late December during some awful weather. They played havoc wirh us. Once they broke through the front line Infantry and Armor the support personnel were sitting ducks for them. They caused havoc for days until the sun came out. Then the Air Corps could offer close support and did, and the German's goose was cooked.

Thanks for the chance to remember old, old times.

Russ Filtz
04-12-2005, 6:01 PM
sorry for the broken link, must have worked for only my search. Here's a more direct link.

http://aad.archives.gov/aad/title_list.jsp

If you are looking for info on a person, click on "People"

You'll see a bunch of links for different searches. For WWII info I used the thrid link for WWII Army Enlistment Records". You get sent to another page and then click on the organce "Select" button. Then another page, and I selected "Enlistment Records". From there you can search by name, State, serial number, etc.

Bart Leetch
04-12-2005, 6:10 PM
The Army Air Corps came directly out of the Army Signal Corps. which used balloons & dirigibles.

Russ Filtz
04-12-2005, 7:15 PM
I saved myself some engraving. Went to the military supply store and bought a USAAF, WWII era, uniform pin (tried to get gold for the brass plaque, but it only cames colored) and some gold pilot's wings of the same era (probably not completely authentic, but I just wanted the color to match the plaque). I'll either grind off the pins, or drill some holes in the plaque to mount.

Got some good info from these sites.

http://www.armyairforces.com/default.asp

www.military.com

Attached is an image of the pin I found and also the wings pin. My wing was gold and had faint horizontal lines in the top part of the shield. I'm sure it was probably reserved for officers, but I'm using it anyway!

Dan Mages
04-12-2005, 7:55 PM
Thanks for the info!! My grandfather was a Sargent in the Army Air Corps. During basic, he volunteered to be a pilot, but could not pass the physical due to poor eye sight. He did stay with the Air Corps as a communications officer in the control tower of this emergency air strip near Nome Alaska for most of the war. Hopefully, I will be able to find more info about what they did up there.

Dan